Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My system is runing multiples svchost.exe Processes

• Please log in to reply

rusty95

rusty95

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi geekstogo Team :)

When I check on the Task Manager I have notice there is 11+ svchost.exe processes running for System, Network Service and Local Service

is this normal?

Now most of them shows from 2kb to 7kb of Memory Usage but there 1 svchost.exe working for the System that shows 24+ Kb of Memory Usage

is this normal?
How can I know what are these processes running for?
could these svchost.exe be a virus?

I have read that svchost.exe processes sometimes could be a virus disguise as svchost.exe

is this true?
if so how can i fix it?

Thx in advance.

:)

Advertisements

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go

It is normal to have several SVCHOST.exe files running at one time... 11 seems like a lot to me... "but possible"

On the other hand it is also possible that you could have an infection exploiting your SVCHOST.EXE...
Click here

This will take you to the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide where you can take several steps on your own to get pointed in the right direction.

Once you have completed the directions there, and you are still having a problem...
Click here

Then post a NEW TOPIC in that forum using the button at the top right that says new topic...

Please paste the 4 requested logs and wait for a reply from one of our experts to assist you...

Good luck

Cbarnard

rusty95

rusty95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thx Cbarnard

I went to Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide my last step was 4 I reboot and test, all 11 svchost.exe were still running I know if I continue this guide we will find out if this svchosts are virus or not i'm pretty sure some of them are. Although I decide to install windows 7 as secondary OS so I will be running win XP home edition an Win 7 RC and for that I need to reorganize my HD partitions

(format and Fresh install) = clean system, right?

if after the install I still have infection I'll be here asking for help.

thx

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
As long as you have Reformatted the HDD and performed a clean install you should be clean...

Do a fresh install of WIN XP and of WIN 7 and you should be fine...

If you plan on saving data from the "old computer" I would be careful as you don't know what infection you may have.

Some infections have abilities to re-manifest themselves in a new system if you are not careful when you transfer some file types from the old system. IE Virut...

I don't know what you intend to do I'm only trying to provide you with a caution...

Good luck

Cbarnard

rusty95

rusty95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

If you plan on saving data from the "old computer" I would be careful as you don't know what infection you may have.

Some infections have abilities to re-manifest themselves in a new system if you are not careful when you transfer some file types from the old system.

well you know I do have 2 external hard drives where a save all data I need or want to keep, I scanned both with AVG, Antivir, MBAM, SAS and both seems to be clean.

is there anything else i can do to be sure they are clean?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
There is nothing I'm able to say about how to fix your Possible infection other than go through the malware forum...

It seems funny that there are 11 svchosts running...

I would post the logs and let one of our experts check through it, if they say you are clean then I would not worry about my caution to you.

That would be the best way to know...

It only takes a couple of minutes to post the logs and then you can just check back to see the status of your logs,

well you know I do have 2 external hard drives where a save all data I need or want to keep, I scanned both with AVG, Antivir, MBAM, SAS and both seems to be clean.

With certain infections it is possible that all HDD's and flash devices attached to the computer while it is infected are also infected... You may want to keep that in mind. Some times it is easier to reformat them if possible.

Sometimes infections can get passed the different tools that you have used... Also I see that you say you have used AVG and AntiVir...

I don't know how you are using them, but utilizing more that one Antivirus can cause alot of problems including missing viruses altogether It can also cause alot of system instability and slow it down alot.

Our experts use different tools to check out the status of a computer... If it is "infected" they will most likely find it...
Good luck

Cbarnard

rusty95

rusty95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Also I see that you say you have used AVG and AntiVir...

I don't know how you are using them, but utilizing more that one Antivirus can cause alot of problems including missing viruses altogether It can also cause alot of system instability and slow it down alot.

I use only one at a time, I uninstalled AVG to install Antivir and see if there is any difference on the results.

rusty95

rusty95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I finish Win XP install and updating

I have 6 svchost.exe running now which I think is normal, I guess

before format and install the System process in Task Manager showed 78,260+Kb of mem usage now it only shows 240kb, after internet search seems that 240kb is normal amount of mem usage for that process so I think I used to have a problem there.

I think now everything is running normal tonight I'll perform a full scan just to be sure.

:)

Edited by rusty95, 05 August 2009 - 09:33 PM.

rusty95

rusty95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ey well yes everything is running normal after a few days of testing and scanning.

thx cbarnard

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
No problem Thanks for the reply back

Good to hear your problem is fixed

Cbarnard