Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The "Open With" box opens for everything

• Please log in to reply

TimCHills

TimCHills

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
After I cleaned up a whole bunch of malware and rebooted, I have an interesting problem: Everything that I try to run gives me the Open With box which says:
Choose the program you want to use to open this file:

I have tried to run:
HiJackThis.exe
Excel.exe
Notepad.exe
iexplore.exe
firefox.exe

and a few others. Thinking that all of these run under explorer.exe I tried to choose that, but that would just go around in a circle to the same box again.

I rebooted again and noticed a box that said "C:\Windows\System32\Rundll32.exe could not be found."

Any ideas on what to select so that the exe files will run?

Thanks,
TimC

Edited by TimCHills, 03 August 2009 - 07:07 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

After I cleaned up a whole bunch of malware

It looks like not all of them....

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

TimCHills

TimCHills

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Broni:
Thanks, but I would politely and respectfully disagree. While there could be more malware, in this particular instance, it is definitely a Windows problem.

Nothing will run, because the system has lost the linkage for an exe to execute. Does anyone know what that linkage is?

Thanks again,
TimC

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Hi there :)

This is a problem we see often in these forums. Because the typical cause for it is malware related we must always refer users to the malware removal forums.

If you'll allow me though, I'd like to try a new way of fixing this problem. Because you seem computer literate I believe it'll be easy.

Please go to KZTech's Download page and click on the download button underneath System Repair Engineer 2.7.1.1261 to download a zip file.

Extract the zip file to a new folder. The archive includes several files.

After doing so, go open the folder in Explorer or My Computer. Go to "Tools" and select "Folder Options" to open the folder options applet. Click on the "View" tab and in the options provided find and uncheck the box next to "Hide extensions for known filetypes." This will allow you to see the extension types of every file in the file's name (.exe, .doc, .txt, etc.)

In the folder into which you extracted the files earlier you will find one called SREngLdr.exe . Right click this file and rename it to SREngLdr.pif . You will get a warning asking you if you really want to do this, say Yes.

Then double click on the file to run it. You might get some errors on the right hand side, just click on the "Ok" button to get rid of these. With the program opened, click on "System Repair" on the left hand column. You will get a list of file associations on your computer and their status (either Normal or Error)

Check the box next to any file association that has the "Error" status and click on the "Repair" button on the bottom right.

You can then close the program. Your problem should be fixed now.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
You can then go back in and recheck the "Hide extensions for known filetypes" checkbox in the folder options applet.

TimCHills

TimCHills

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks! I'll be able to try that later today.
TC

TimCHills

TimCHills

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The easy fix for that problem was to open Windows Explorer : Tools : Folder Options : File Types, then create a New file type EXE and set it's Associated File Type as Application.

That got executables running again, but yes there is more malware which kills HiJackThis (even renamed), MBAM (even renamed), and Sunbelt VIPRE. VIPRE ran long enough to identify several problems, but during the Clean Up phase VIPRE hung and won't run again even after re-installing. I'm thinking that system may have a rootkit and will go do some more digging.

Thanks for your help.
tc

TimCHills

TimCHills

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well this has been fun. Whew! But I'm really glad it wasn't my system.

Yow! What a mess! I am totally amazed at how much malware was allowed to gather in the system while under the AHEM watchful care of McAfee .

When I used the Sophos AntiRootkit program, it was able to clear out a mess of SKYNET files and then I was able to get a clean run by HJT, get WinPatrol installed and working. The System Repair Engineer is a very interesting program. I am doing some further checking to see if it's really clean. It sure is running better.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Thanks, but I would politely and respectfully disagree. While there could be more malware, in this particular instance, it is definitely a Windows problem.

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

TimCHills

TimCHills

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Please mark this Resolved. I got the system all cleaned up.

Thanks,
TimC

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Very well :)