Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time builder, need parts suggestions.

• Please log in to reply

L.Martofel

L.Martofel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

http://www.newegg.co...-L0B-_-22136319
There is a special deal on these. Use promo code: EMCLXLP48 for $10 off.

btw... the ballistix tracers have red and orange LEDs on the top and glowing blue ones on the bottom of the modules.

I'd like to see how this comes out.

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm not going to buy another HD just yet. I already have the 1 TB WD Caviar Black, and if anything, I'd probably buy another one of those eventually just to make a backup or buy an external HD for backup.

With the Ballistix tracers, I may get them eventually, but as of right now I really can't spare the cash. I'd rather save up for Windows 7. Sure, the lights would be cool, but I'm sure I can get a good looking case setup (hopefully without looking gaudy) by adding my own lights and trinkets here and there.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Pick up the Mushkin RAM kit then... it will work great with your setup.

L.Martofel

L.Martofel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Pick up the Mushkin RAM kit then... it will work great with your setup.

Well, looks like the sale on the Mushkins is over...I missed it. So, I guess I'll just put the extra $3 out to get the hot LEDs on the Crucial Ballistix! I probably won't get them for another couple of weeks though. Getting the processor this pay. Next pay will be the mobo, then finally I'll be getting the RAM, putting this puppy together, and getting it up and running.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
All right... take your time. Let us know how the build turns out! :)

L.Martofel

L.Martofel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hopefully this is the last time I ask a question before posting pics of my final build.

Since NewEgg just jacked up their prices on their RAM, both modules I was looking at (the mushkin and the crucial ballistix) have gone up by about $10 since I started the build (which was around the time I started this thread).

So, I'm shopping for new RAM (the last part of my build), and I saw this on Microcenter's website.

Anyone know anything about those tracers? They don't have much info on Microcenter's page, and there isn't a matching one on NewEgg. From what I can tell, they're the same ones from NewEgg, just not black. But, then again, I'm the newb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Crucial make good RAM. If that's the best deal you can find, go for it!

Try Crucial.com for more info on them. :)

L.Martofel

L.Martofel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Crucial make good RAM. If that's the best deal you can find, go for it!

Try Crucial.com for more info on them. :)

I can't seem to find the exact model on there, since MicroCenter's page doesn't have the actual model number, just the UPC number.

It's still the same timings that I need for my mobo, so I'm sure they'll work. I just don't want to end up buying something that I'm gonna regret saving the $17 for.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you use crucial online you can input the exact MOBO and it will give you the memory recommended for the board.
Exact models may not happen but you can find a good replacement as Troy said with crucial brand.

L.Martofel

L.Martofel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Finally finished! Here's pics!! Click to embiggen:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

*edited to add...

I ordered those Crucial Ballistix RAM sticks...they were exactly what I needed. I found out why they were $17 cheaper though...they weren't Tracers, so no LEDs....No biggie though! I could use the extra $17!

Oh, and A HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT HELPED!!!

Edited by L.Martofel, 21 October 2009 - 09:32 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Embiggen? :) Love your choice of word there mate!

Those pics look pretty good. How does the system run? When you're game to go back in, I reckon you could tidy up the PSU cables a bit more, especially with that window, you'll want it looking as clean and tidy as possible. But then again, I am just nitpicking. :)

Advertisements

L.Martofel

L.Martofel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Embiggen? :) Love your choice of word there mate!

Those pics look pretty good. How does the system run? When you're game to go back in, I reckon you could tidy up the PSU cables a bit more, especially with that window, you'll want it looking as clean and tidy as possible. But then again, I am just nitpicking. :)

That one PSU cable is too short to put behind the case as I did with the other cables...I'm gonna eventually buy an extension for it, and run it behind the mobo plate and back around the top of the case to get it out of the way. Also, the DVD drive I have in there was originally from my old Dell, so that's going to be replaced with a SATA cable once I get the new one. You should see the spaghetti behind the MOBO mounting plate! I may take a pic of it so you can see how many wires are running behind it...

As far as how it runs, I've only run Memtest86+ and Ubuntu from a disk, because I'm waiting to get Windows 7 to install on it. Most of my software is Windows based (Especially my music recording software), so Ubuntu does me no good. So, until I can save up for Win7, I'm not going to be able to give it a full test. I just wanted to be sure I could get it to post before my 30 day return policies ran out on all my parts.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Zip ties or even better velcro loops will help in cleaning up the cable mess. A lot of the newer cases are coming with Cable Management behind the MOBO plate.

L.Martofel

L.Martofel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Zip ties or even better velcro loops will help in cleaning up the cable mess. A lot of the newer cases are coming with Cable Management behind the MOBO plate.

Did you look at my photos? Most of my cabling is running behind the MOBO plate.

@Troy

Here's the pic I promised of the spaghetti behind the plate:

Posted Image

And here it is covered:

Posted Image

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Where is your gfx card?
It looks very nice.. it will tidy up once you get the SATA drive. Are you going to cut up a hole in the mobo plate just above the CPU 12V connector? You can then thread the CPU cable from the back to the connector on the mobo (only if the 12V cable is long enough tho). I love the length of the cables in Corsair PSUs for that.

All in all a very nice job... it looks great! :)

L.Martofel

L.Martofel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Where is your gfx card?
It looks very nice.. it will tidy up once you get the SATA drive. Are you going to cut up a hole in the mobo plate just above the CPU 12V connector? You can then thread the CPU cable from the back to the connector on the mobo (only if the 12V cable is long enough tho). I love the length of the cables in Corsair PSUs for that.

All in all a very nice job... it looks great! :)

Thanks!

Since I'm not much of a gamer, I got a mobo with onboard HD graphics, with an HDMI out. I was thinking about bringing the CPU cable up the way you suggest, but it would be tough since there isn't much room up there. I was thinking of getting an extension, and bringing it up through the hole on the side of RAM, then snaking it up, over and around the mobo so that it comes down from the top to connect to the mobo. I'm probably going to try to tidy up what's left of the cords inside by maybe zip tying the slack ones together.

I'd also like to put some more lights in it. Anyone have any ideas where I could get a decent, cheap set of lights to light this puppy up?