Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Noob needs help with overclocking an e5200

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
2.75 is about as much as you will get without raising the voltage.
Remember to not exceed 1.3652V.

When overclocking, you'll often hit a point of diminishing returns. For example, you may reach a point where you'd need an additional 0.1V+ just to get the CPU stable at a speed 100mhz faster. 100mhz isn't worth all that extra voltage which will decrease the lifespan of your CPU.

That is true... if you raise your voltages too much, you can drive down your processor's life.

Your CPU is cool right now... overclock it until you reach your desired speed (it should be easy)

Advertisements

dcross64

dcross64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
right now my fsb is at 250 so the max i can get is 3.125 ghz wich is what im running now, but with the standard voltage which is kindof wierd. if i turn the fsb any higher i get a blue screen when windows boots (probably because of the memory being clocked too high like you said earlier). i dont want to mess with those settings to get the cpu higher though because 3.1 is pretty good and im happy with that. So ill stick with 3.1, thanks for the help.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Being able to boot into Windows is not the same thing as being stable. In fact, given that setting the FSB just a bit higher gives you a BSoD, I'd guess that your overclock is very unstable. I'd look into this now, otherwise you'll be back in a few days asking, "why does my computer keep freezing and crashing?"

Run OCCT's CPU Linpack test for an hour. If it fails, bump up the CPU voltage an increment and try again. Keep doing this until it is stable for an hour, then run the test overnight to ensure complete stability. Of course, don't go over 1.3625V, but you shouldn't need anywhere near that for your overclock.

dcross64

dcross64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
okay i dropped it to 3.0 ghz and ran the stability test and it passed and also played gta 4 for a few hours and nothing went wrong.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
If 3 Ghz is all you need, then you can stop at that... it looks like a stable overclock.
Check your temps and make sure that they are not critical under load.