Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

SD Slot on Gateway FX

• Please log in to reply

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I dunno what it is, but after cracking a little bit of my 8gb sd card from trying to put it in my blackberry 8310 (can you blame me that I cracked it?) Thinking I could simply put it in the adapter and put it into the slot to see if I could recover anything, within 3 minutes I figured well this is obviously not working. So I pull it out and that thing is like a furnace, I got a blister on my thumb :) Why did it overheat? I'm sure that's not the way it's supposed to be. Is this a lawsuit just waiting to happen, what is this?

Edited by FCCAGut, 04 August 2009 - 05:24 AM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
A lawsuit because you got burned when you tried to use a device you knew to be damaged? I think you would be laughed out of court, and get stuck with the court and legal fees.

The reason electronics overheat is because there is too much current being drawn through the device. This happens when a "short" or abnormally low resistance is placed in the circuit, such as when physical damage occurs, and the circuit comes into contact with another circuit, or the system "ground". In effect, it would be like you sticking a new, copper penny in the slot. I would say you should consider yourself lucky that you did not destroy the Blackberry, or the computer with this damaged device.

I would also consider a different brand for a replacement SD card - one not so fragile that it cracks when being inserted into a Blackberry. How did that happen anyway? It seems it would take a lot of force to crack it.

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I was putting it in and u got this small metal thing that you have to put on top of the storage and then you have to put the battery on top of that and you got to put the battery in such a way that it locks and it pushes down on that metal thing so the card doesn't move. My eyes aren't that good either :/

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

My eyes aren't that good either

I hear ya, barely. :)