Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying a new laptop need your help please!

• Please log in to reply

Sarbar

Sarbar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi All,

I am looking at getting a new laptop and with so many choices out there it makes it confusing. I want to get something good but don't want to pay a fortune. I saw a laptop from BestBuy for $599.00 :Toshiba Satellite 15.4" Laptop featuring AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core QL-60 (L300D-06T)

Would appreciate your help and advice on this one...How is does this processor compare to an Intel Dual Core?
I will be using this for personal use so burning cd's/DVD's,surfing, email, photo editing etc.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
Sarbar

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
What's your budget and what kind of screen size are you looking at?

If you're looking for the most portability, you can get a netbook for pretty cheap nowadays. If you're looking for your standard laptop (15 in. screen) you can generally find budget ones for under $600 at local stores.

The AMD 64 X2 is a dual core processor.. although the intel core 2 duo will definitely outperform it. However, if you're just doing basic computer work as you described, that shouldn't be a problem. As for the price on the Toshiba, I can't give you a recommendation without the other specs.

Personally, I would recommend something like the Lenovo G530. It's a great value for starting under $500.

Sarbar

Sarbar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm looking at least a 15.4" screen size.
I am looking at the $599.00 price range...I would prefer a high end Intel processor like their dual core but the price jumps a bit on the laptop.

Here is the link with more details on the laptop. With what you get with this one it seems to be a good deal.

http://www.bestbuy.c...BY_hmpg1_slide1

Thanks
Sarbar

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
That deal is okay at best at $600 in my opinion. The AMD processor at 1.9 ghz would be the main bottleneck. Also, if the preinstalled operating system is not Vista 64 bit, the 4 gb ram would be a waste.

You can get a much better value system for less.

http://www.newegg.co.....=HP G60-230US

For $450, you a larger 16" screen and intel dual core processor with with only 80 gb less of hard drive space.