Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Problem XP "sata primary drive 0 not found"

• Please log in to reply

d33p

d33p

• Pip
  • 3 posts
First post, so please be gentle.

I have a Dell Dimension 4600C series, which has had a lot of problems in the past due to its cramped design. Before leaving home in 2007 for a couple of years I reformatted it with windows XP, and opened it up to clean out all the dust inside. My parents tried to use it and said that a screen came up saying "sata primary drive 0 not found, strike F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup", and two and a half years later I'm back home and kinda need this computer as a secondary, and see the same screen. Going into setup I'm not sure if I knocked a SATA cable loose while cleaning it (I don't know how to check and it looks kinda kinked) or if the XP I installed messed it up, but using an older XP install disk won't help because obviously the drive can't be located. The closest thing I found resembling my problem on this site was http://www.geekstogo...me-t115636.html, but his problem and solution are different; I only have one harddrive. Is there anything I can do?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi d33p ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
first unplug the computer from the wall...try unplugging the cable and reconnect it...
if that doesn't work try replacing the cable...

d33p

d33p

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks happyrock

I'm not really sure how to unplug and reconnect a SATA cable. is there a how to page someone cna link to me, or a walkthrough maybe?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here
do both the motherboard and the drive ends

d33p

d33p

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
sounds good, i'll try it out and let you know how it goes. thanks for replying so fast.