Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME 2000

• Please log in to reply

alan.hornsey1

alan.hornsey1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:)

I have an old computer, I bought it 9 years ago from Tiny (no longer trading under that name) its still running well. I would like to rebuild it.
I would like to put Windows XP operating system on.
The processor is AMD 800Mhz
128MB SDRAM
30GB HDD
I am not that bothered about the Hard Drive size, but can Windows XP run on such a small processor, will I have problems?

I will probably only use it for internet, as I have a laptop as well.

Edited by Murray S., 04 August 2009 - 12:15 PM.
removed email to protect the innocent

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

It should run with little difficulty. I would be more concerned with the amount of available ram though. XP will use almost all of that leaving very little for any other app. You may find surfing the net to be very slow and frustrating.

The XP install cd you are going to use may also influence things as finding XP drivers for the hardware may be impossible.

Murray

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It'll run but it'll take all day to do anything. XP should pick up most of the hardware straight away but that isn't the point.
Realistically even adding more memory to it is probably not going to be worth it, you may just be better off putting the money towards a replacement one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
* Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
* At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)
* At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk
* CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
* Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse or some other compatible pointing device
* Video adapter and monitor with Super VGA (800 x 600)or higher resolution
* Sound card
* Speakers or headphones

Minimum requirements for XP
This will only allow XP to run and trying to run anything else is by the farthest believe going to be almost impossible.
Anything else running is going to stress the memory completely. I agree with Murray in the point that increasing your memory to 1 gig is the so called Sweet Spot for XP.

The two upgrades you should think about is first Memory and then a larger capacity HD

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Thought I would jump in an add that Windows XP is really just a fancier looking Windows 2000. There are differences, but unless you are specifically wanting to change to XP for one of those differences, it really isn't worth it if you want my opinion. However well 2000 runs on that machine, XP surely will be slower/worse(it requires more resources, which then are not available for your browser or email client to run smoothly)