Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Net Problem

• Please log in to reply

Antimsaash

Antimsaash

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Hi!

I have got a linksys WRT160N router... Used to work pretty good.. But now all of a sudden, my internet is very slow and so is wireless.. When i do SPEEDTEST.net thing, it shows that i've 20MBPS but i don't think i am getting that much speed... What do you think is the problem and how to sort it out...

Please help..
Thanks

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Good evening, Antimsaash.

Does the Internet seem slow on more than one PC or just this one?

Does it only seem slow when you run certain applications or tasks --- or is it slow in general?

When did this start? Have changes been made recently?

Have you tried to power cycle your modem and/or router?

I know I am asking a lot of questions but trust me, this helps build an accurate diagnosis. We can hopefully put you back up to normal speed rather quickly.

Good luck! :)

Antimsaash

Antimsaash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Hi!
Does the Internet seem slow on more than one PC or just this one?
---- It's on all PCs...
Does it only seem slow when you run certain applications or tasks --- or is it slow in general?
---- basically just the internet is slow, so all browsers are slow in general... Once it runs fast, then after few minutes, it goes slow again
When did this start? Have changes been made recently?
---- The only change made was i formatted my computer...
Have you tried to power cycle your modem and/or router?
---- Ya done that, thats the first thing i did...

Thanks

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I see.

Have you contacted your Internet Service provider (ISP) to have them remotely test the line to make sure there are no issues with their modem, etc?

It fluctuates between moments of satisfactory surfing speed and unsatisfactory speed? It does this randomly?

When the Internet seems faster, is it always on the same website or service, or is this also random?

Have you checked your computer for various forms of Malware which may be affecting system performance? It is possible that Malware has hijacked your Internet connection and is essentially flooding your line with traffic.

I asked you a lot of questions in order to look for a pattern. Hopefully we can determine the root of this issue before too long. We just need to narrow things down.

Antimsaash

Antimsaash

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
No i have not contacted my ISP because i've paid for 7MBPS but for some reason my netspeed test shows that i've 20 MBPS...
It fluctuates randomly, not same sites ... Any site actually...

I just formatted my computer so, i don't think there is malware but still i've checked it and came up with no results...

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I understand.

At this point we have looked for many common (and even not so common) issues on your side. This issue could still originate from the ISP. We won't know unless you call.

Your ISP should be able to log into your modem (and router if you are renting it from them, also known as a "managed" router) and check for any flaws in configuration. At the same time, they can run a benchmark on the modem to check it's input/output speeds. Additionally, the ISP can check your line to make sure there are no packets being lost between their substation and your residence.

I would highly suggest calling them.

Also, because this issue is affecting all of your computers, it means that we're pretty much down to the modem, router, or the line. Depending on if you pay for "managed" services such as your router, they may assist you with this, or they may only provide limited support.

Please let us know what they tell you.

Good luck! :)