Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Synctoy / Backup Software

• Please log in to reply

capper

capper

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I have 2 laptops with 60GB hardrives in them. In addition, I have 2 extra hard drives that I use for backup purposes. One is 160GB and the other 1000GB. I have been using some software called Synctoy to regularly synchronize my PCs and my extra HDs.

A couple of times now I have had a MAJOR problem in that I have lost a lot of data in certain folders. It simply disappeared. It seemed that both times this happened, I had used the ECHO function on Synctoy.

Since I am starting to accumulate a lot of pictures and music, my 2 PCs 60 GB HDs fill up pretty quickly. So, I would like to store a lot of pictures and music ONLY on my extra HDs and keep the necessary less space consuming stuff on my PCs.

Until recently I had only been using the synchronize function of synctoy and it seemed to have worked very well. Recently, however, I have started using the echo or contribute functions. Frankly, I don't really understand the difference. I can't completely understand the definitions they give of ECHO and CONTRIBUTE.

I want to do the following:

(1) Synchronize the "My Docs" folder between my PCs and extra HDs.
(2) On my PCs, delete all of the major stuff I don't need (like pics and music)
(3) On a regular basis, backup any new data that is added to one of my PCs
(4) Of course, I want to save any new data on my PCs and on the additional HDs. However, I don't want any of the major stuff that I deleted sent back to my PCs.

Which of the functions shoould I be using? What should I avoid doing? Is Synctoy the best program out there or could anyone recommend another?

(A) I am very worried about losing data for a third time.
(B) I need a good consistent program I can regularly backup all of my folders with.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

Can i just ask what version of SyncToy are you using? You should be running if not Version 2.0. Now as far as i know there have been file and corruption problems with Synctoy that are due to be fixed. However Microsoft have yet ot release their patch for the issue.

The following functions are outlined below:

• Synchronize: New and updated files are copied both ways. Renames and deletes on either side are repeated on the other. For example if it is changed in one place it changes in the other, ie a file is renamed on the laptop it is then changed on the external hard drive.
  • Echo: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames and deletes on the left are repeated on the right eg left being your Laptop right being the External Hard drive.
  • Subscribe: Updated files on the right are copied to the left if the file name already exists on the left.
  • Contribute: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames on the left are repeated on the right. No deletions. Same as echo but without deleting the file
  • Combine: New and updated files are copied both ways. Nothing happens to renamed and deleted files.

So from that i would advise the following:

(1) Synchronize the "My Docs" folder between my PCs and extra HDs. Contribute

(2) On my PCs, delete all of the major stuff I don't need (like pics and music). You would be better doing that youeself ie find the file and delete it.

(3) On a regular basis, backup any new data that is added to one of my PCs Subscribe

(4) Of course, I want to save any new data on my PCs and on the additional HDs. However, I don't want any of the major stuff that I deleted sent back to my PCs. Refrain from using Combine

Of course im not an expert on this so I can't delve any deeper but that should work for you
There is a tutorial here on How to use Synctoy. The is a part near the bottom that will show you had to run it on startup to allow you to backup daily.

However to be perfectly honest for the last 5-6 years I've just got by with copy and paste. :)