Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't recognize new USB drive in bootup

• Please log in to reply

puffins

puffins

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well about a week ago lightning struck and knocked out the usb drive of my desktop computer. So I bought a new usb drive so I could use my mouse and keyboard again. Once installed the mouse and keyboard worked again HOWEVER they are only recognized when I'm in Windows. When I boot the computer it says "keyboard error" everytime because it can't recognize my old usb drive (I'm assuming). Though once Windows starts, as I've said, the usb drive works and I'm free to use my mouse and keyboard.

The problem is, I have a CD that can only be used outside of Windows and to trigger the CD to initiate I have to "press any key" which it says to do right before booting Windows. Since my computer doesn't recognize my usb drive outside of Windows pressing any key doesn't work for me. A friend recommended me using a ps/2 keyboard however I don't have any outlet for a ps/2 to plug one in.

Is there a way to get my computer to recognize my keyboard outside of Windows or am I SOL?

The only other ports my Graphics card (Geforce 6800) have are a dvi and S-Video output. I'm thinking if I can find an adapter that converts one of these to usb port I'll be good. I know this is probably a long shot but I think that is all I can do.

Edited by puffins, 04 August 2009 - 08:33 PM.

Advertisements