Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE

• Please log in to reply

Lyxiz

Lyxiz

• Pip
  • 5 posts
HI, IM HAVING THE MESSAGE:REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE. I HIT RESTART AND IT DOES NOT BOOT AGAIN JUST THE SAME MESSAGE OVER AND OVER.I CANT GET TO THE BIOS MENU IT ONLY ASKS FOR A PASSWORD. TRIED RESTARTING AND HITTING F1 OR DELETE OR F10 TO BRING UP THE BIOS MENU AND NOTHING. WHERE I ONLY CAN GET IS TO THE MENU AND IN ADVANCE SETTINGS I THINK IT IS I SEE THAT THE IDE IS NOT DETECTED. I RECENTLY TOOK IT FOR A REPAIR BUT THE GUARANTEE HAS EXPIRED SO I GUESS I CANT COUNT ON THAT. ANY HELP WILL BE APRRECIATED. BY THE WAY THIS IS A WIN XP OS.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Has this happened since you got it back from the repair shop?

Lyxiz

Lyxiz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
WHEN I GOT IT BACK FROM THE REPAIR IT WORKED FINE THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH THE MODEM(IT WAS NOT CONFIGURED) SO I TOOK IT BACK AND THEY CONFIGURED IT. EVERYTHING WAS OK UNTIL ON SUNDAY WE PUT THE ANTIVIRUS AVAST ON IT THE PC RUNNED WELL ALL DAY IN FACT THAT WAS THE ONLY THING WE DID WITH THE PC. BUT ON MONDAY MORNING I TURNED IT ON AND THERE WAS THE PROBLEM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK if you could take your cap locks off because that is like yelling in the forum.
Second let's check the bios again.
Please enter the bios and click on the Set to default
If that doesn't work please let em know if we are dealing with a laptop or desktop.

Lyxiz

Lyxiz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
IT IS A DESKTOP. AND I PUT NUM LOCK TO OFF AS THERE IS NO CAPS LOCK TO DISABLE. THE BIOS MENU ONLY GIVES ME THE OPTION OF PUTTING A PASSWORD WHICH IS USELESS. ALL THESE THINGS ARE NOT DETECTED: PRIMARY IDE MASTER PRIMARY SLAVE SATA1 SATA2

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm this sounds like a major MOBO problem.
One IDe or maybe both IDE's, but when the SATA also doesn't recognize. That's a good sign the MOBO has some serious failure happening.

Lyxiz

Lyxiz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK.WHAT DO I DO THEN. WHEN I GOT IT BACK FROM THE REPAIR THIS IS ONE PART THEY REPLACED.THEY ALSO GAVE ME A CD FOR IT. SHOULD I INSTALL THIS CD AGAIN? WILL I NEED TO RECONFIGURE ALL THE MACHINE PUTTING THE CD OF WIN XP AGAIN?