Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comp wont even boot CMOS

• Please log in to reply

blake2k

blake2k

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well I dont know my fans been loud as a dirt bike for a few months now havent got a chance to pick up a new one.. anyway now the comp wont even boot I unplugged the batteryfrom the mother board tryed killin the cmos I finnaly got it to boot it was running for about 6 hours i rebooted and it stopped booting again.. now I cant get it to boot It like doesnt even load the monitor the cd drive light blinks and makes a sound like its loading then stops and does it over and over like every 10 seconds and the network card that my dsl wire is plugged into is lit up but unlights and relights up every few seconds..
seems like its trying to boot but not working out..

any ideas what I can do?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

What fan are you talking about the cpu?

Please list your system specs

sevver

sevver

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
You need a new heatsink/fan. A computer will not boot without one, and if yours is broke, then it will do that.

blake2k

blake2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well both fans the one that is attached to the processor and the main battery fan is quite clogged up with dust ive bought cans of duster before that helped al ittle but i think i might of broke it when i punched the computer :tazz: .. lol

shiit was trying to sleep for work and my dog jumped on it and made the fan sound like a dirt bike ussually if you tap it a few times it shuts up but ya i killed it it wouldnt boot...

you sure its the fan?? pretty much it boots to the point taht no monitor comes on showing you what its booting and the cd drive light just keeps going on and off and i cant seem to find anything else wrong with it besides the fan making tons of noise.

maybe its not broke?? just loose or somthing? what exactly is the heatsink fan cause I magically got it to boot again one time and on the next restart it pulled the same [bleep] again bleh

-shoots self-
well i can see where my next paycheque is headed..

blake2k

blake2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
WEll i cleaned out the dust from the fan thaet was on the processor it works pretty fast.. and the main cmos battery fan is giving off some noise but a good breeze so... i dunno im stuck this [bleep] sucks whats the deal already [bleep] it.

Melstorm

Melstorm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just eavesdropping, and I think that may be the problem with my laptop. The fans. The one that cools that CPU with the heat sink on it comes on fine once the laptop but of course I don't get that far with the thing shutting off after 10 secs. The other an which I assume is an exhaust for the motherboard, I don't think works. How difficult is it to replace these fans? Am I more likely to need a new motherboard?

:tazz:

blake2k

blake2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yea... both fans are working I dont get it my comps been alright ...

Why does the CD LIGHT keep blinkin twice stops for 5 seconds does it again.

and the same with the network card when the wires plugge din it lights up and gos on and off..

uggh please someones gotta know so i can buy what it needs and get on with life :tazz:

blake2k

blake2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
-jeopordy music-

Edited by blake2k, 14 May 2005 - 08:26 PM.