Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox Add-on

• Please log in to reply

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
Im looking for a specific add-on that would save me ALOT of time and confusion and help me with my forgetfulness....

What I am looking for is an add-on that would allow me to edit text in a webpage to add/remove specific sentences or lists that I have already done or checked. This would save me a bunch of time and effort when I'm scrolling through a page and I'm looking up information on certain things and allow me to leave notes behind on stuff I need to go back and look at further. Currently I print stuff off so I can do this but in the browser would make life much more simple.

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I’m not sure of any off the top of my head that will do all you want it to, but I thought this one might help a little to keep track of things.

Highlights 0.9.4

Highlights is an ultra-light-weight (13 KB) multi-color highlighting tool. Highlight selected text on web pages with a right-click. Highlights are saved in a user-defined folder and saved highlights are automatically loaded when page is revisited.

https://addons.mozil...fox/addon/12676

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Nuke Anything Enhanced may be what you need:

Posted Image

https://addons.mozil...refox/addon/951

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Ooh, nice Broni!

*sari runs off to add.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
:)

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
some how I knew if anyone would know of an add on it would be Broni...

nice one I think I will add it as well :)

rcramm

rcramm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
WOW!! Broni that is fantastic!! The highlights one seems cool too but I couldn't install it because I'm useing 3.5 or I'd use both of them :)

rcramm

rcramm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
While searching around and reading some comments about this I stumbled on a couple of others that are stronger that remember settings and stuff that you decide to remove. It's called Yet Another Remove It Permanently. I downloaded them both because there are times I can use both styles.

https://addons.mozil...efox/addon/7211

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

some how I knew if anyone would know of an add on it would be Broni...

That's probably, because I've been addicted to Mozilla's products since Mosaic came out around 1993 :)

The highlights one seems cool too but I couldn't install it because I'm useing 3.5

Highlights add-on works fine here on 3.5.2. Very handy.

Remove It Permanently - definitely, one of the best add-ons. It feels so good to get rid of all unnecessary advertisement frames on any web page. I love it.

rcramm

rcramm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Highlights add-on works fine here on 3.5.2. Very handy.

It won't let me download it from mozilla's page using 3.5.1 or 3.5.2 because it says it is for versions 1.0-3.0. Is there maybe some trick to letting me do that I just haven't discovered?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I see now. We're talking about two different add-ons.
I use this one: https://addons.mozil...refox/addon/239

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
BTW, there is another excellent add-on, MR Tech Toolkit: https://addons.mozil...refox/addon/421, which gives you a bunch of wonderful options, and one of them is its ability to disable version check, so you can download, and install any add-on. Number of them may be listed as not compatible, but they still work.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Now wait just a second. Are you telling me ::pause for theatrical purposes:: that there is an add-on that lets you install any add-on regardless of version of Firefox? Am I the only one that sees the humor in that?

I guess the reason I'm laughing as I type this is that why in the heck is version check there to begin with then? Would it not make sense to just eliminate version check altogether then, and when you install an add-on it either works or it doesn't. Am I making any sense?

*Ferrari makes note to write Mozilla a letter

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, not really, because some ancient add-ons surely won't work.
Mr. Tech becomes handy, especially with new FF upgrades, like going from 3.5.1 to 3.5.2, for instance.
At the update time, FF will check for add-ons compatibility. FF really doesn't know, if the add-on will work, or not. It just checks for add-on version stamp.
In most cases, with minor updates like this one, all add-ons will work, but if FF spots some add-on with a version stamp not mentioning 3.5.2, it'll say: incompatible.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
As I went to the garage to support my cancerous habit, I had a feeling you would say that. I guess I didn't explain my self the best. I totally see what you are saying, its not so much the compatibility that is checked, but as you say the "version stamp" is checked. And this is exactly what baffles me, or is what I don't understand.

Hmmm, maybe it's because Firefox is constantly updating its versions, but I'm thinking of other games and softwares. If I try to install something on Vista or 7, and it is only compatible with XP, don't I just get an error message or code of some sort? Maybe a "Could not finish installation, not compatible with Vista" error?

Eliminate the version check, and check for compatibility, not version stamp. Are you following me? That is the easiest way I can explain it. Is that hard to do? Would compatibility check take to long each time Firefox updates? Just asking to make conversation, or as the Forum Title says, "Geek Talk".

Edit: As in check for code compatibility I guess, not just the single version stamp. I'm not a programmer and far from it lol. So just put me in my place should you need too. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 09 August 2009 - 12:33 PM.