Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP GUI does not load

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

SoWhy

SoWhy

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi there,

my Windows is trying to drive me crazy I'm afraid. I booted my PC normally today but after the part with the Windows logo and the process bar, nothing happens. I tried safe mode and it worked.
- I tried last known good configuration without avail.
- I restored several previous system restore points (despite not having made any changes yesterday)
- I ran memtest86 to rule out RAM problems
- I ran a full surface scan on my hard drive that came up empty (HDD is completely fine)
- CPU temperature is normal, so is mainboard and system
- Chkdsk on the system partition came up with errors but did not solve the problem

Now I'm at a loss here, I have not changed anything when I used my PC yesterday nor ran any new programs or downloaded any new files. :)

Please help me :)

TIA
SoWhy

Edited by SoWhy, 05 August 2009 - 02:26 PM.

Advertisements

SoWhy

SoWhy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Very weird. Apparently, my display adapter drivers were corrupted somehow, since starting in VGA mode worked. I have no idea how that happened :) Luckily, this means removing and reinstalling the drivers fixed the problem :)