Welcome Guest to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Feel free to browse the site as a guest. However, you must log in to reply to existing topics or start a new topic of your own, and enjoy all this forum has to offer. Additionally, if you can assist another member by sharing your knowledge, please post a reply! Best of all - Registration and all assistance, is FREE! Learn more about How it Works. Infected? Malware Cleaning Guide. What are you waiting for?
Create an Account Login to Account

Audio Troubles in most PC games, Sound cuts out, skips, and jumps

• Please log in to reply

Tryntius

Tryntius

• Pip
  • 5 posts
bump. I am having this issue and this is the only forums that has remotely addressed exactly what is happening. All my drivers are up to date

Advertisement

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,532 posts
can you provide more information? Please list your system specs and what software/games are causing you issues.

Tryntius

Tryntius

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer:

AMD Athlon™64 Processor 3500+ 2.21 GHz
3.00 GB of RAM
Motherboard is a WinFast NF4UK8AA
Using onboard sound
Video Card is a nVidia 9800GT 512 MB
Running XP SP3 (had problem on SP2 as well)

When cinematics for video games play, the sound skips often or mutes all together. Sound functions normally during regular game play. This issue was not always present. But I haven't changed anything to cause the issue, except increasing my RAM from 2 GB to 3 GB (previously I had 4 512 MB sticks in, currently I have 2 512 MB sticks and 2 1 GB sticks. I attempted to increase to 4 1 GB sticks for a total of 4 GB but the system would only recognize 3.25 GB and games would cause the system to hang after a few minutes of play.) I have all my drivers sound and video drivers up to date. I use Driver Detective to ensure this. I have tampered with the settings and cannot improve this functionality.

Tryntius

Tryntius

• Pip
  • 5 posts
bump

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,532 posts
I don't recommend the user of "driver" update software from anyone other than Microsoft.

For video: http://nvidia.com/
for audio: included in motherboard drivers
For motherboard: http://nvidia.com/ (users the nvidia chipset, so it requires the nforce 4 ultra drivers)

http://www.foxconnch...t/Motherboards/

Still need a list of games that your playing.

Tryntius

Tryntius

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Using up to date nVidia drivers:

Games being played (sorry I forgot that part):

Warhammer Online
Huxley the Dystopia
Batman Arkham Asylum (Demo)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,532 posts
Please go to System requirements lab. Select batman and run the test. Please post the results when done.

I suspect that your processor is the issue. Its only a 2.2ghz and most of these games require 3ghz or better.

batman:

Minimum:

* CPU: Intel single core 3 Ghz or AMD equivalent
* Memory: XP = 1 GB, Vista = 2GB
* GPU: Shader Model 3 NVidia 6600 or ATI 1300 or higher

Recommended:

* CPU: Pentium D 3Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (Dual core)
* Memory: XP = 2GB, Vista = 3GB
* GPU: NVidia 7900 GT or higher

Enhanced for multi-core

Online features:
- Friends
- Achievements

GigasBreaker

GigasBreaker

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I just registered here because I am having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Games like Need for Speed: Shift and Mini Ninjas will have bad audio in cinematics and cut-scenes. For example: In the intro of Mini Ninjas the narrator tells the story of the game and it sounds like this... "Long ago, when the evil samurai samurai samurai samurai samurai..." and it will just keep going on like that or go silent after a while.

Other games like Street Fighter 4 and Gears of War have no problems. I DON'T GET IT, everything runs at 60 frames per second without any lag! Here is what I'm running...

Windows XP Pro; 32-Bit
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4800+
2 GIGs of ram
ATI Radeon HD 3850 512MB (running at 256-bit memory interface)

PLEASE HELP!!! :)

Tetsusaiga

Tetsusaiga

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am having the same problem. I'm running a PC with Windows XP, and about two months ago I upgraded from 1.5 GB of RAM to 3 GB (actually 4 1GB sticks, but the system only recognizes 3 GB). During some games, for example The Witcher and Age of Conan the sound cuts out during CINEMATIC cutscenes, playing fine for a few seconds, then cuts out for about 10-15 seconds, then comes back and continues to cut in and out. There are no problems with the sound elsewhere in the game, such as in the menus, in the actual gameplay and in in-game, non-cinematic cutscenes. I have tested various other kinds of video files that I have in windows media player and VLC player, and they all seem to play fine. Cinematic cutscenes seem to be the only source of trouble.

All my drivers appear to be up to date, particularly the video and sound card drivers, but I did recently reinstall windows in addition to adding the new RAM and a new hard drive. Before these changes the cinematics in these games ran fine with no errors, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing this change, either through testing or research online.

Please, if someone could at least give me some general idea of what might be causing this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Tetsusaiga

Tetsusaiga

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Here are my system specs, bear in mind the only hardware that has changed in between now and when I could play these games with no skipping are an increase in Ram and a new (better) hard drive.

Windows: Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702
Memory (RAM): 3071 MB
CPU Info: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz
CPU Speed: 2987.9 MHz
Sound card: SB Live! 24-bit
Display Adapters: Radeon X1650 Series | Radeon X1650 Series Secondary | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Monitors: 1
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter #2 - Packet Scheduler Miniport | Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: D: SONY CD-RW CRX216E | E: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A
COM Ports: COM3 | COM1
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 8 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 232.9GB | F: 298.1GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 13.4GB | F: 112.8GB
USB Controllers: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not Detected
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Product Make: Dimension 8400
AC Power Status: OnLine