Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build Gone Wrong and I Need Help

• Please log in to reply

AFSim

AFSim

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay, so this is going to be long as there have been many an issue, but I would be utterly grateful to those who read the whole thing.

This is my first build and the specs are:
- CASE: ARK | GL-09A BK
- CPU: AMD | PH II X3 720 BK AM3 2.8G
- GRAPHICS: SAPPHIRE 100245L HD4850 512M
- MEM: 2 1Gx2 | OCZ DIII1333 OCZ3P13332GK
- PSU: CORSAIR | CMPSU-450VX 450W
- HD: 500G | WD WD5001AALS
- MB: GIGABYTE | GA-MA770T-UD3P AMD770
- DVD BURNER LITE-ON | IHAS124-04

I think that's it.

INSTALLATION ISSUES
Well basically, I started putting everything together and found it excruciatingly painful to figure out where all of the front panel cords and things plugged into the motherboard. My power supply comes with more cords than I've ever seen in my life and there were no labels or installation tips, so I have no idea if those are plugged in correctly.

The first problem I had was that I had no thermal paste since I was under the impression that the CPU came with some cheap stuff that I would replace later. I put the heatsink on anyway. When I put the motherboard in, the screws were too short to reach the case, so I used some bronze colored things that came with the case that were like screw extenders and that worked. It elevated the motherboard, too, away from the edge of the case.

My graphics card is pretty long, so it covers the SATA 2 slot a little. The hard drive I have though doesn't seem to use that so I just plugged it in to SATA1.

When I connected all of the front panel LEDS, power things, and sound things, I looked online a found what I think is the right layout, but I'm not sure if they all have to be facing the same way, like words all on a certain side, or if it matters.

When I got everything plugged in and set, I turned it on and nothing happened. The green LED flickered on the front but that was it. I jiggled things around, unplugged them and plugged them back in. Finally I took some plugs that were attached to my case's LEDs and fans (a 4pin connector and a plug that has 4pin holes) and unplugged the 4 pins from the power supply cord and into each other. Then, when I turned it on everything worked except for the LEDS and case fans which I'll figure out later. Then the problem became that the computer itself wouldn't turn off.

I'm thinking it's the BIOS but I have no idea where to find it or what it is or what to do. I tried to plug in a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, but the monitor was getting no signal.

I really have no clue what to do so I'm going to undo everything a redo it, but if there are any suggestions in the meantime that would be great. And please be as detailed as possible in your answers please :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to this Tutorial created by one of our own Tech Staff named Troy.
This is one of the best and easiest to follow step by step instructions on how to build a system.