Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my computer keeps running scan disk and not loading desktop

• Please log in to reply

carter_5456

carter_5456

• Pip
  • 8 posts
plz help im at wits end here i ran scan disk and the power went out half way threw it and now when i start it up goes threw scan disk fine and then goes to load xp but then goes right back to run scan disk and it never makes it to my login screen and this just keeps repeating, the only thing i can to is cancel it but it just restarts it. i can go to setup but dont know what to do there so i hit esc and it starts all over its ran scan disk over for about 6 hours now. im thinking the only way its going to get fix is for me to hammer the thing.. plz help

thanks for takeing the time to read

Edited by carter_5456, 07 August 2009 - 10:57 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi carter_5456...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r from the rc.iso cd...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...
you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice it to repair windows..
press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>.......this is where you type in chkdsk /r

type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running, you will see a black dos box... Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete...it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
remove the rc.iso cd and reboot...if it does not boot into windows

boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot
nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

remove the cd and Reboot

carter_5456

carter_5456

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi carter_5456...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r from the rc.iso cd...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...
you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice it to repair windows..
press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>.......this is where you type in chkdsk /r

type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running, you will see a black dos box... Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete...it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
remove the rc.iso cd and reboot...if it does not boot into windows

boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot
nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

remove the cd and Reboot

i cant do that because it never loads windows

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first ...do not quote what I said...
the rc.iso (recovery console)is a bootable cd...it will load and run itself...
go to a working computer and follow my instructions to download and burn the cd...then take it the computer that doesn't work and put the cd in and follow the rest of the instructions..

carter_5456

carter_5456

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i went threw everything that u told me to, but still doing the same thing. but think you for ur time and effort, if u come up with anything else im all ears

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did chkdsk /r run to completion...did it find any errors...

When you freeze up and have to do a hard reset (cold reboot) - WinXP flags the all hard drives with open files as dirty. The "Dirty Bit" is set by the file system itself only if it detects a problem....
so every time you press and hold the power button this is going to set the dirty bit and the only way to fix it to run chkdsk /r

we can try to work around this BUT the errors on the drive will not be fixed and you may have other problems with hanging and freezing if chkdsk /r is not run ...
boot from the rc.iso cd and at the prompt type in ...chkntfs /x c: press enter
type in exit press enter and try boot normally

carter_5456

carter_5456

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i tired it but when i type chkntfs /x c: in it says not reconized, oh when i did chkdsk /r it did find errors and fixed them but it still just runs threw scan disk and then restarts

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
does chkdsk /r find and fix errors every time it runs...
do you ever get windows loaded...
is your OS loaded on the C drive...

Every time Windows restarts, Autochk.exe is called by the Kernel to scan all volumes to check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. CHKDSK /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. It is always advisable to run chkdsk on volumes that have been improperly shutdown

the /X switch Excludes a drive from the default boot-time check...

Examples:

chkntfs /x c: This disables chkdsk from running on drive C:

chkntfs /x d: e: This disables chkdsk from running on drives D: and E:.

carter_5456

carter_5456

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok i tried it and the same and no it does not find errors every time i run chkdsk /r

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
that answers 1 of my questions...
what about the other 2...

carter_5456

carter_5456

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
sorry i forgot to write about the other two it starts to load windows and then goes to a black screen and restarts... but i cant answer ur other question i dont know how to find out the OS loaded on drive C:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look around on the case...find the windows product key...it will say what version of windows is installed..

carter_5456

carter_5456

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
windows xp pro

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you don't have a xp pro retail cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
then a repair is in order...go here for the how to guide...

carter_5456

carter_5456

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok i will try think you for the help im sorry its taking soo long