Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

LCD Monitor acting strange

• Please log in to reply

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
More accurately, though, it appears that the green overtakes most of the black on the screen.
The monitor is an HP VS19c.

Advertisements

jadi929

jadi929

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
can you describe in more detail?

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Hm, it's like i parts of it flicker green for a few minutes. That's the best description I can give without a picture. and I don't have a camera.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
When ever you need to troubleshoot graphics problem, I always recommend swapping monitors with another computer and see if the problem stays with the computer, or moves with the monitor.

Also, make sure your cables are secure, the interior is clean of heat trapping dust, and your fans are spinning fine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like your color guns are failing.
Only option (That is cost effective) is purchasing a new monitor.
LCD's have come down in price so you could purchase a newer one with better resolution for less then 200 for a 22" from NewEgg

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
I kind of figured the monitor was failing, to be honest. We've had the monitor for about 5 years, so I'm not surprised. Meh, it's not like CRT's are any better.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
LCD is better resolution to go along with the newer Graphics Cards.

If you watch Movies or play Games then get a LCD

I suggest a LCD anyway as it will give you the expandability later if you would like to go to Digital signal on your system or a newer system.

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Can I do anything about it in the meantime?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No when the color guns go the colors will get steadily worse turning from green to probably red.

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Well, that's a downer.
There's a stripe of purple running down one side of the screen. this is like each pixel is going haywire, same with the green.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you got another monitor you can try to make sure it is not the video card itself?

I don't think it is but stranger things have happened in the world of computers.

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
I'll ask my mom about it, we have a very similar monitor on our other computer (a VS19d). I'll try it out.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great, I will wait for your results. :)

mkau

mkau

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
It was the monitor! :) :)

Thanks for the help, rSchaffer!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Even though it will cost more then a video card I am glad you have discovered the monitor is trhe culprit in all this.

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible