Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume

• Please log in to reply

b. cripps

b. cripps

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks geeks. Always appreciate your help and always learn something in the process.

Took my dell laptop into work to hook up to their internet and download four videos I’ve been wanting. Used Real Player and everything worked normally until I went back to check the downloads. Got a window saying Real Player could not play back without updating. I tried to download version 10. something. And that wouldn’t work either. I was a bit frustrated and downloaded a FLV player. I tried one of the videos and it started playing in FLV. I closed out but left the laptop running with the lid almost closed. When I went to turn it off several minutes later, it had already shut down.

Now when I start it, it starts in Windows Advanced Options Menu but whatever mode I choose to open in, I get the Unmountable Boot Volume window, 0X000000ED code.

This computer was bought “used” and was not supplied with a XP disc.

Anyone have any ideas how I can proceed.

Thank you in advance.

Bryan

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Better contact whomever you purchased the system from and get the cd from them as you are going to need it for the fix.

Or, you can contact Dell and try to get one from them.

BTW, what were the videos and where did you get them from?

Murray

b. cripps

b. cripps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks Murray (fellow Canadian)...

This is not good news. Bought computer on e-bay. Isn't there a start-up program I can download? No way to start in Save Mode?

Download was from YouTube.

Bryan

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Thanks Murray (fellow Canadian)...
This is not good news. Bought computer on e-bay. Isn't there a start-up program I can download? No way to start in Save Mode?
Download was from YouTube.
Bryan

Not really. You could try booting into Safe Mode just to see if it would get there but I wouldn't be holding my breath to long.

As for the YouTube downloads, were you aware that was against YouTubes Terms of Use and thus illegal?

Murray

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r from the rc.iso cd...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

when you boot from rc.iso you will get a blue screen and it will say setup is loading files...
then it will say its starting windows...
you will get to a screen that says ...do you want to install windows or 2nd choice it to repair windows..
press r to repair...you will get to a ...C:\>.......this is where you type in chkdsk /r

type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running, you will see a black dos box... Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.

NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete...it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
remove the rc.iso cd and reboot...if it does not boot into windows

boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot
nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

remove the cd and Reboot

b. cripps

b. cripps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
No Murray, I wasn't aware of this. Too bad. Some good tutorial stuff if you care to look. Things worth keeping.

Thanks for joining in Happyrock. Let me try this and I'll report back.

Bry

b. cripps

b. cripps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Sorry for the delay on this. Trying to locate a computer so I can do the download. Have located XP disc from another machine. Is this any good to me?

Thanks again,
Bryan

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
nope....use the recovery console (rc.iso) cd

b. cripps

b. cripps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey HappyRock:

rc.iso worked like a charm. Ran for about an hour and a half and after doing a check on itself, the laptop booted right up. All files seem to be intact. Any suggested maintenance to follow up?

Many thanks to you.

Bryan

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know...
nope...other than to create a restore point...

revenger

revenger

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello,
I am having the same problem as described. It is my daughters laptop, Dell Latitude d600. It is showing the blue screen with unmountable boot volume....stop:0x0000000ed.
I read this post and it sounds like it can fix my problem but, I am lost and sure I just need someone to explain to me something. If I cannot get past the blue screen how can I download what is suggested? If I go to a different computer, which I can do, what in the heck can I do to fix the problem with the dell?
Thanks