Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing hall.dll file

• Please log in to reply

pyro55

pyro55

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Well basically I get that wonderful message upon startup that "Windows could not star because the following file is missing or corrupt; <windows root> system 32/hal.dll" so of course, I simply insert the disc and repair the file, and windows starts! This has become the procedure I must follow every time I want to restart my computer. I've tried this and other forums for a solution and still no such luck. what can I do?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are you doing the repair exactly like the guide here ...if not follow the guide..

or try this ...
Restoring hal.dll from the Windows XP CD

1. Enter Windows XP Recovery Console.
2. When you reach the command line prompt ... type the following and then press Enter...

expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll

Using the expand command as shown above, d represents the drive letter assigned to the CD/DVD drive that your Windows XP CD is currently in... this is usually d, but your system could assign a different letter if you have several hard drives ...or several optical drives
c:\windows represents the drive and folder that Windows XP is currently installed on. Again, this is usually the case but your system could be different.
3. If you're prompted to overwrite the file, press Y
4. Take out the Windows XP CD, type exit and then press Enter to restart your PC.

Assuming that a missing or corrupt hal.dll file was your only issue, Windows XP should now start normally.

pyro55

pyro55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
unable to create file hal.dll.
0 file(s) expanded.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi guys...

The HAL.dll is created during the Windows installation and is unique to the machine. The Repair Installation that happyrock linked you to should take care of that.

A corrupt, non-standard, or missing boot.ini file can also cause this error, so let's take a look at that. Click Start, right click on "My Computer", and choose "Properties". Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button...a notepad window will open (boot.ini).

Copy and paste the contents of that window here for us.

pyro55

pyro55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
file cannot be found

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok....tell me about your machine.
  • Is the system drive (where windows is installed) the C: drive (Local Disk C:)
  • Are you running XP Home or XP Pro?
  • Do you only have the one operating system installed?

pyro55

pyro55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Running XP pro installed on the C drive, running only 1 OS

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Two more questions and we'll get started.

Is this an OEM machine like Dell, HP, etc... that has a recovery partition on it? It makes a difference when creating a boot file.

Is the system Folder named Windows? (C:\Windows) Or does the system directory have a name like MinNT?

pyro55

pyro55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Dell inspiron 9300. Folder is named Windows.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open a notepad window (Start - All Programs - Accessories - notepad).

Copy the text in red below and paste it to the notepad.

Click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save As". Name this file boot.ini

In the "Save as type" feild, select "All Files".

Save this file to the root of C:. (Save the file to Local disk C:/)

Reboot and see if you can start without the cd.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Note: This boot file is designed specifically for this computer. Use of this file on any other machine may cause boot failure.

pyro55

pyro55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
worked like a charm! Thank you! I'm still having some (hopefully) unrelated problems with the memory or display which I which I will hunt for solutions to on other topics or start another if I have to. Thanks again!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to lend a hand! :)