Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VISTA SYSTEM STILL LOCKS, even after your help

• Please log in to reply

Joel Dearing

Joel Dearing

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thank you in advance for your help on this.

I have a:
Gateway GM5442 with an Intel Core Duo 4400 running at 2.00 ghz
2 gb of ram
32 bit operating system
Running Vista Home Premium, and has been patched, updated and service packed whenever MS says it needed to be.

Recently (within the last couple of weeks) the system will lock when it goes into power saver or screen saver mode, not sure which one.
Just sitting idle, it goes to idle mode, and it will lock.
If I am recording something with MediaCenter, and I am away from the PC, and it goes to idle mode or black screen, save power with the monitor mode it will lock
If I am listening to music with the Zune software, and the "mode kicks in, it will lock
If I exit the system to the log in screen, and re-boot, and leave it at the log in screen, when the "mode" kicks in it will lock.
If I boot the system from power on, and get to the log in screen, and do NOT log in, and wait for the "mode" to kick in, it will lock.

What I find odd, is that in this version of Vista, I can not turn off the screen saver, so I set it to 462 minutes. But the computer screen still goes to black after maybe 20 minutes, and the monitor goes "to sleep"

If I am watching something on either a stream, or media center recording and the computer goes to "mode" and I move the mouse right then, it comes back OK.

When it locks, I get no mouse, no screen, no caps lock light reply, and I have to unplug the system.

I have noticed that when I first move the mouse after a lock up, I hear the hard drive spin up, but no disk access sound. It will then spin down to go quiet. If I press the power button, the same thing happens, but the monitior does not come on, and it is still locked. I have to kill it at the power source, then turn in back on, and it gives me the boot in safe mode, or normal screen. Sometimes it does a Check Disk

Thoughts, tips, ideas?

Thanks,

Joel

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Very simple solution.
Since this is desktop, your best bet is NOT to use any power saving features.
They've never worked 100%.

Joel Dearing

Joel Dearing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I had sent you this a while back and you replied by suggesting I make changes in my power savers mode (turning it off) I did that but I am still having problems

My first post was:
---------------
I have a:
Gateway GM5442 with an Intel Core Duo 4400 running at 2.00 ghz
2 gb of ram
32 bit operating system
Running Vista Home Premium, and has been patched, updated and service packed whenever MS says it needed to be.

Recently (within the last couple of weeks) the system will lock when it goes into power saver or screen saver mode, not sure which one.
Just sitting idle, it goes to idle mode, and it will lock.
If I am recording something with MediaCenter, and I am away from the PC, and it goes to idle mode or black screen, save power with the monitor mode it will lock
If I am listening to music with the Zune software, and the "mode kicks in, it will lock
If I exit the system to the log in screen, and re-boot, and leave it at the log in screen, when the "mode" kicks in it will lock.
If I boot the system from power on, and get to the log in screen, and do NOT log in, and wait for the "mode" to kick in, it will lock.

What I find odd, is that in this version of Vista, I can not turn off the screen saver, so I set it to 462 minutes. But the computer screen still goes to black after maybe 20 minutes, and the monitor goes "to sleep"

If I am watching something on either a stream, or media center recording and the computer goes to "mode" and I move the mouse right then, it comes back OK.

When it locks, I get no mouse, no screen, no caps lock light reply, and I have to unplug the system.

I have noticed that when I first move the mouse after a lock up, I hear the hard drive spin up, but no disk access sound. It will then spin down to go quiet. If I press the power button, the same thing happens, but the monitior does not come on, and it is still locked. I have to kill it at the power source, then turn in back on, and it gives me the boot in safe mode, or normal screen. Sometimes it does a Check Disk[

---------------

Taking your advice I changed power options to "Never". That is under Control Panel / Harware and Sound / Power Options. I can use the computer 8 hours straight through my work day, but at the end of the day I will reboot it, walk away, and if I am gone for "a time" (have not figured out the exact time frame yet) the screen saver kicks in at the Vista sign on screen. Sometimes if I move the mouse I get the sign on screen, other times it just locks up. Other times I can move the mouse and that is all I can do is move the mouse pointer. Clicks don't work, right or left.

Another time I was running malware scans, and ran Malware Bytes (suggested by your team) It ran OK, but I was not at the screen when it finished. It sat for some time, when I got back to it, the system was locked up. I could see the desk top, move the mouse, but no key board, no left or right click. Sometimes when it does this I still have caps lock lights and num lock lights function, but nothing else.

It really appears that if I walk away from the system for any length of time, either signed on or not, eventually it will ock after sitting.

Thank you again in advance for your help.

Joel