Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Power Supply

• Please log in to reply

EricJB

EricJB

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Can anyone suggest a good Power Supply for me? I want to go somewhere in the range of 500W. The reason I'm asking is I've heard a lot of stories of power supplies not even being able to handle the wattage they're labeled for and I don't want to end up buying something that's not of good quality.

I'm not a gamer or anything, I just want a decent power supply that can supply the power needed if I add a few more components to the case. Basically, I'm thinking of adding a Multimedia LCD display panel and also a second hard drive. I've already got a lot of fans running and everything so I just want to make sure I have enough power. Right now I'm only running with a 350W PSU. Like I said, I'm not a gamer so I'm not looking for something too high end or pricey, just something of good quality.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
This one will fit perfect. Corsair 400 Watt. $50.00. It has a single 30 Amp Rail, which is awesome for the price. :)

I assume your case is an ATX Form Factor, right?

The reason I'm asking is I've heard a lot of stories of power supplies not even being able to handle the wattage they're labeled for and I don't want to end up buying something that's not of good quality.

You heard correct. You always want a PSU that is 80 Plus Certified, and the higher amps per rail the better. :)

EricJB

EricJB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

This one will fit perfect. Corsair 400 Watt. $50.00. It has a single 30 Amp Rail, which is awesome for the price. :)

I assume your case is an ATX Form Factor, right?

The reason I'm asking is I've heard a lot of stories of power supplies not even being able to handle the wattage they're labeled for and I don't want to end up buying something that's not of good quality.

You heard correct. You always want a PSU that is 80 Plus Certified, and the higher amps per rail the better. :)

Hey man, thanks for the reply! Awesome tips. Anything 500W, though? Right now I'm at 350W but I've got one of those Antec Veris Multimedia Stations on the way, and I want to make sure I have enough juice. I figure if I'm going to upgrade from the 350W, it might as well be up to at least 500W.

Thanks, man, appreciate it!

Edit: Yeah, micro-ATX, actually.

Edited by EricJB, 08 August 2009 - 12:12 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
It is really all about the Amps on the rails and how efficient the PSU is (80% efficient or not). I would imagine this PSU would do just fine. However, here are some 500Watt and above.

Corsair 550 Watt $99 41 Amp Rail
Antec Earthwatts 650 Watt $79 3 Rails, +12V1@22Aamps, +12V2@22Amps, +12V3@25Amps (adding all 3 together isn't how it works. This is probably equivalent to a 35-40Amp single Rail).
Seasonic 500 Watt $61 2 Rails, +12V1@17Amps, +12V2@17Amps
Cooler Master Silent Pro 500 Watt $99 Rail unknown, probably about 35 to 40 Amp. Dead Silent, I own the 700 Watt version of this PSU which has a 50Amp rail.
OCZ 500 Watt $59 2 Rails, +12V1@18Amps, +12V2@18Amps

All of them are 80 Plus certified. The best PSU Manufacturer is Corsair, however, the rest of the manufacturers I have listed are also very good and reliable companies. I hope this helps. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 08 August 2009 - 09:04 AM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
To clarify how much 12V amperage each PSU Ferrari listed has:

Corsair: 41A
Antec: 45A
Seasonic: 34A
Cooler Master: 34A
OCZ: 36A

As for which PSUs are of the highest quality, refer to this list. I always recommend getting a PSU from Tier 1 or Tier 2.

That Antec Veris won't use much power... After all, it doesn't have a processing unit on it or any moving parts. Similar front panels for sound cards use about 5W. A hard drive will only use about 12W. Your current PSU would probably be able to handle both.

However, getting rid of a generic PSU is always a good idea. The first PSU Ferrari suggested would be fine. A 400W Corsair is much more powerful than a generic 350W PSU; at least, it's much more powerful then you'd be led to believe by looking at the wattage alone. It will also provide more stable power, lengthening the life of your system, and be more efficient, saving you on your energy bill. And, at $30 after mail-in rebate, it's a great deal.

If you really want more juice, that 500W OCZ @ $40 after mail-in rebate is another good deal, though again, you really don't need that much power for your system.