Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows System32 Config Problem

• Please log in to reply

LSEactuary

LSEactuary

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
I have used the instructions to make the Windows CD and followed the steps on:
http://www.geekstogo...pt-t242795.html

Steps 1 and 2 work for me (the blue screen comes up etc)

When i reach step 3 it says:

Microst Windows XP<TM> Recovery Console.

The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.

Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

It is black and white like your print screen. Its exacty the same as the print screen (from the website above)

However, the C:\WINDOWS part and everything below it does not come up.

And when I type the codes (on the page above) it says 'Access Denied'.

Also when i type 'BOOTCFG' loads of option come up. This is what comes up when i type the following:

type 'ATTRIB etc' (eg ATTRIB -S C:BOOT.INI) - There is no floppy disk or CD in the drive (even though i have left the Wis CD i made uing the above link in the hard drive)

type 'BOOTCFG /REBUILD' - scanning all disks for Windows Installatios.
Please wait, since this may take a while...
Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, hich would prevent Bootcfg from succesfully scanning. Use chkdsk to dtect any disk errors.
Note: this operation must complete sucessfully in order for the /add or /rebuild commands to be utilised.

type 'CHKDSK' - the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

I have made sure I copieed the spaces etc to the dot.

What shall I do?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try chkdsk /r again...if chkdsk /r finds any errors run it until it does not find any...
unfortunately when you get this error the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems its basically saying the hard drive is no good and has to be replaced....
you can try slaving the drive to another computer to get your data off or even boot from a linux live cd and try to recover your data that way...but the bottom line is you will be replacing the drive...

LSEactuary

LSEactuary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
..is there no other way of fixing it?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
nope...