Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing/Corrupt file and repair problem

• Please log in to reply

neatfreak

neatfreak

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I feel like there's a lot of information out there regarding my particular problem (I guess I'm not alone!) but couldn't fix my computer with the solutions provided so I'm stretching my arm again for additional help.

When I reboot my computer, the first screen shows up with the company logo and then I get two messages. One says \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is either missing or corrupt and the other says press 'r' to repair.

When I hit 'r', it reboots itself but returns to the same message and will not go any further. I changed my boot order from CD to HDD and it tries to boot from CD, but I always end up getting the two error messages.

All was fine until this started to happened a few days ago. Since then I repartitioned my HD and attempted to reinstall Windows XP using the CD I got when I received the machine but none to avail.

BTW, there are no beeps coming from POST. So I think it's failing that test to begin with. I opened the box and rechecked all my connections but unfortunately, I don't have any spare components to switch out the current ones to test if they are in working order or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
With the XP CD you have to press a key to start it off otherwise it will boot off the hard drive again.

neatfreak

neatfreak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you, Neil Jones for your suggestion.
Which key would that be?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Start the computer with the CD in, and when you see this:
Press any key to boot from CD
...press some key.