Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not booting, HDD light on solid, CD ROM light blinking

• Please log in to reply

CBMilewski

CBMilewski

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello all,

So, here's what happened...

This first paragraph is probably moot but I figured I might as well give as many details as possible.

I intercepted 2 older LCD monitors (analog only) at work on their way to the dumpster. I have 2 computers at home and the older one was still using a CRT monitor. The video card in the older one is a Nvidia 7600 (GS or something) and I was gonna hook it up as a dual monitor setup using my newly acquired monitors. I had to use a DVI to D-Sub adapter to hook up the second monitor. So, I turned it on and the computer booted up fine and I could see the image on one of the monitors. Troubleshot and came to find out that the other monitor has a power problem and doesn't work. Fine, so I turned the computer off and hooked up just the one good monitor.

Here's where trouble struck. Now the good monitor wont show anything at all. I was thinking that one crapped out as well but I hooked up my old CRT and there was still nothing. My next thought was that the video card had died on me. I took the video card out of the other computer and still the same when I powered on. I don't even know how to begin troubleshooting a computer problem with no display.

The only information I can give about it's current state is that when you hit the power button the HDD light stays on solid and the 2nd CD ROM drive light flashes, though the door wont open or anything. It stays like that for as long as you leave it. The only way to turn it off is to hold the power button. There's no beeps on powerup.

If anybody can lend any insight into this problem or what I can try to do to fix it I would really appreciate it.

Advertisements

jadi929

jadi929

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
maybe theres a problem with the power supply?

CBMilewski

CBMilewski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hmm, that would make sense if it was powering some things and not others. When I get the chance I'll rip the supply out of the other computer and try it on this one. Thanks for the idea.

CBMilewski

CBMilewski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Sure enough, that was it! Moved the power supply from the newer computer and and it booted right up. Thank you very much. Now on to Newegg.com.