Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access Denied

• Please log in to reply

m3bik

m3bik

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, here's my situation...

A lady dropped a laptop off at my house. The laptop does not power on, so she's ready to dispose of it. She's trying to get some pictures off of it first...

I hooked the hard drive up to one of those IDE to USB adapters. I can access most of the hard drive.

The pictures in question are in "F:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents" There was a password set for this specific user on the computer, so her personal files are also protected. When I try to access the folder, I get the error message "Access Denied."

If the computer turned on, I could easily get the login information, login and get the pictures... However, I'm not able to do so. Even if I knew the password, it does not give me the option to input it. It just says Access Denied. Are there any work-arounds?

I can't access anything in "F:\Documents and Settings\username" at all. That's all I need to do, but remember- I'm not booting from this hard drive, so I'm not logged in...............

Any ideas?

Advertisements

m3bik

m3bik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm going to try the instructions posted at http://www.geekstogo...mp-t246213.html

Which tells me to take ownership of the files, which can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

I'll post my results, but I might have it from here..

m3bik

m3bik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, I'm using XP Pro and I've already turned off "Use simple file sharing."

I then right click on the folder I'm trying to change, click Properties, go to the Security tab, click Advanced, click the Owner tab, click my username, and then click OK.

Just as I'm told.

I still get this error:

Posted Image

I click Continue and get this error:

Posted Image

Edited by m3bik, 07 August 2009 - 09:18 PM.

m3bik

m3bik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Am I missing something? or am I doing it wrong?

Help? Please.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry for the long response but we have been very busy.
Have you tried to log in as the Administrator?
Not your account that has Admin rights but the administrator.

m3bik

m3bik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It is a dell laptop. This is the third time I've seen this happen with Dell laptops! The hard drive would turn on when plugged in, but within a minute, the hard drive would just "crap out" or turn off by it self. There was this very annoying sound when it did that too.

That's what my problem was. I could do what ever I wanted for the first minute, but when the hard drive turned off, I had to unplug the usb cable and replug it in... To have yet another minute, or so, to do something else.

I was able to finally get it once I figured all of this out.