Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fixmbr crash need help!

• Please log in to reply

Eric Lyons

Eric Lyons

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys. Yesterday I was unpartitioning my old laptop that a buddy had installed a Windows xp / linux system on. I deleted the linux system but the computer died all the sudden before I could combine the unused partition. I got a GRUB 22 error message and members of Linuxquestions.com advised me to put in my XP disk and at the recovery center type fixmbr. I did, then it gave me a missing NTLDR error message. Again they advised me to type in :

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\ copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

the ntldr took but the ntdetect could not be copied and now the computer boots to the Dell loading screen, blanks out and tries to load again and again. I basically want to know if this laptop is done, or can a working Windows Xp OS be saved. I don't care about recovering any of the old data but a working OS would be great especially if the partitions were together. Any advice would be great.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
If you don't care about any data, why not to go for clean install?

Eric Lyons

Eric Lyons

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

If you don't care about any data, why not to go for clean install?

Thank you, I did do a clean install. Issue resolved.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Excellent! Thank you for posting back :)