Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CMOS bad checksum. new motherboard old HD/windowsXP

• Please log in to reply

bloads

bloads

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
just bought a new motherboard (XFX750a SLI nForce, cpu(amd phenom II), + ram (4 gigs).
using old raptor HD with same copy of windows i was using on old motherboard/cpu etc.
when i turn my comp on, it will get past the motherboard screen (3 secs), beep, then show a black screen with a blinking cursor that drops 1 line then the whole screen goes black after about 2 secs.
if i hit CMOS reset on the motherboard while it has power but the comp is off, it will load up, get through the same motherboard screen for 3 secs, beep, then beep again telling me the CMOS has a bad checksum and to either press f1 to enter setup or press f2 to use default settings + continue. If I press f2, it loads windows and everything runs fine once it does. if i press f1, it goes to my bios, where no matter what change i seem to make or not make, it will never let me into windows.
How can i fix this?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
First, understand that it is never wise, and often illegal to use an installation of Windows from one computer on another, and a new motherboard, in most situations, is the heart of a new computer. If your old Windows came with the old computer/motherboard, that is, you did not buy a retail license of XP, then you cannot use that copy of Windows on the new system.

Second, when you go into the BIOS, you need to Save and Exit after making sure the date and time are right, and the drives are properly identified. Then, upon the next reboot, the checksum will find the same HW as it sees in its saved tables, the checksum will match, and you should not get an error.

bloads

bloads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

First, understand that it is never wise, and often illegal to use an installation of Windows from one computer on another, and a new motherboard, in most situations, is the heart of a new computer. If your old Windows came with the old computer/motherboard, that is, you did not buy a retail license of XP, then you cannot use that copy of Windows on the new system.

Second, when you go into the BIOS, you need to Save and Exit after making sure the date and time are right, and the drives are properly identified. Then, upon the next reboot, the checksum will find the same HW as it sees in its saved tables, the checksum will match, and you should not get an error.

The errors are caused from me having a PhenomII, which is only compatible with my motherboard using their 1.5 version of the BIOS. I can't install that because my lower version is write protected. I can't go into my BIOS and successfully boot my computer right now, because of the old version of BIOS causing my hardware conflict. I need to manually jumper disable my BIOS somehow.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Your system isn't going to boot even if you manage to get the BIOS upgrade installed as nothing in the Windows registry in the old hdd is going to match the new mobo.

As Digerati said, unless your XP cd was a true Microsoft retail version and not OEM, it is now illegal to use that OS on what Microsoft considers a new system.

Murray

bloads

bloads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Howdy:

Your system isn't going to boot even if you manage to get the BIOS upgrade installed as nothing in the Windows registry in the old hdd is going to match the new mobo.

As Digerati said, unless your XP cd was a true Microsoft retail version and not OEM, it is now illegal to use that OS on what Microsoft considers a new system.

Murray

ok you're wrong. my system does boot as long as i reset my CMOS and press F2 everytime. i'm on it responding to you right now, with a video game alt-tabbed. It's just annoying, and i'm willing to bet my motherboard isn't getting the most out of my CPU since it doesn't even know exactly what kind of Athalon it is. can you guys get over the legal crap and actually help someone out?
i've got the actual retail XP; i built my old comp, got a new HD, transfered windows to that HD, and am now going to use that in my new motherboard.

Edited by bloads, 08 August 2009 - 08:54 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Some times they will boot, some times not depending on how different the boards are - but never without problems because of the reasons Murry stated, [or meant to say] "the Windows registry in the old hdd is [not] going to match the new mobo." If yours boots, consider yourself lucky that XP had enough generic drivers built in to get things limping along.

The errors are caused from me having a PhenomII, which is only compatible with my motherboard using their 1.5 version of the BIOS. I can't install that because my lower version is write protected. I can't go into my BIOS and successfully boot my computer right now, because of the old version of BIOS causing my hardware conflict. I need to manually jumper disable my BIOS somehow.

You can't disable a BIOS - that's the first place the computer looks to find out what to do next. You can reset it. You can try going out to the maker and creating a bootable floppy to flash the BIOS - if your CD is before the HD in the boot order, you can use a bootable CD, but that is not the default. This is just another reason I still still include floppies in my builds.

You could also go back to the seller and get your money back as you don't seem to have a compatible board and CPU. Or you can find a trusting soul to loan you a compatible CPU, then flash the BIOS with it.

In ANY case, unless that is a retail copy of Windows that you bought separately, you cannot use that license on this new computer, and you should probably just buy a new license - I might suggest Windows 7.