Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new equip forces bios upgrade, can't due to catch-22 though

• Please log in to reply

bloads

bloads

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I downloaded the ISO from xfx, and wrote it to a cd. problem is i can't see any files, but it does take up 1.5 megs. I don't know how to flash it, or how to make the CD bootable to copy the BIOS. i need the 1.5 bios to because it introduces compatibility with phenomII
the main problem i have is that i can't boot properly... i have to reset my CMOS, then when prompted, press F2 to load default settings and continue (this is the only way i can boot my system, and it is the reason for my BIOS update)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Updating the BIOS isn't going to solve the (more likely) fact that your CMOS battery is dead. You can get new ones for peanuts from anywhere, what you need is a CR232 battery.

bloads

bloads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
no, it's a brand new motherboard + CPU. the CPU is a Phenom II, which the motherboard has problems with unless it's BIOS is upgraded to 1.5 (it's even in the BIOS's patch notes)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
What CPU are you using with your motherboard right now?
Is Windows installed?
Do you have a floppy drive?

What is the make/model of your motherboard? Tell me the situation right now.

bloads

bloads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

What CPU are you using with your motherboard right now?
Is Windows installed?
Do you have a floppy drive?

What is the make/model of your motherboard? Tell me the situation right now.

AMD PhenomII 3.1ghz dual core 80w 7MB cache, am3
I have a working retail version of windows installed on my raptor.
No floppy, only dvd/cd burner/reader.
Motherboard = XFX 750a SLI nfroce

Right now, there is only one way for my computer to boot. I have to press the CMOS reset button on my motherboard while the computer's off, then boot, wait for it to beep and tell me to press F1 to run setup (opens BIOS, any changes that i make + save force me to reset, back to a unbootable state) or F2 to launch using default settings. F2 launch takes me to windows with a 100% working state. I can surf the internet, play games, etc. I'm on it right now.
I read on XFX's website, they had a new BIOS available. The readme for it says that it fixes AMD PhenomII compatibility issues.
I downloaded the new BIOS, as a zip. I unzipped it into an ISO. I opened the ISO with daemon tools, and went to browse the "disk" it had created: the disk was 1.7MB but had zero viewable files (even after changing options to see invisible + system files).
I can't use the windows flasher program, because it says my BIOS is write protected. I can't go into my BIOS and remove write protection and save it, because that forces my computer to restart in an unbootable state (as i said before, there's only 1 way for me to be able to boot my computer successfully).
I'm trying to either:
a) create a dos boot CD with the new BIOS and flasher on it, but the BIOS i DLed from XFX's website appears 'empty'
OR
b) unlock my BIOS through windows or manually/physically jumping or shorting the chip so that i could use the windows bios utility (though i guess i still would have the problem of my DLed BIOS seeming 'empty'.

Would you like me to upload the bios ISO to filefront or something? You actually have to have your product registered on XFX's website to DL any drivers/programs/etc or view manuals, so i couldn't link you their link of it.

Hope this wall of text helps you help me

bloads

bloads

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok, got the boot CD to run...

problem is it failed the verify, my BIOS doesn't seem different, and when i try to redo the boot-flash, it said Module Checksum Bad and Error: BIOS Checksum Error. It won't let me update my BIOS using XFX's own bootdisk

it's a new motherboard, so the battery shouldn't be the cause

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Is the mobo still under warranty? If so, you would want to take advantage of it and have XFX send you a new board.

I don't think that b/c you are using a AM3 CPU that the board should make you reset the CMOS before each boot.
You can upload the iso file... post a link to it.
Everything that you are describing points to a CMOS battery problem.

Also look at your motherboard manual to see if you can turn off write protection in your BIOS... then you can try flashing through Windows.