Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer won't recognize GPS waypoints posted on site

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
When I click on the trail waypoints that someone has posted on a site in gpx format my computer does not recognize the waypoints. Instead when I click on the map with the waypoints and choose to save the file and then click the downloaded file I get a message saying:"Windows cannot open this file. To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer." When I choose: "Use the web service to find the appropriate program" and then "Search the Web" on the following screen I get a long list of programs like "File extension.gpx details", "GPX File Extension-Open.GPX Files" etc. I guess one of these programs will enable my computer to recognize the waypoints. I don't know which program to select for download or what to do with whatever program I choose to download. My o/s is XP Home. Thanks for any replies.

Edited by aaaa44, 08 August 2009 - 10:36 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Google Earth can open them.

A list of other programs that do the same job are here: