Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking into building a computer

• Please log in to reply

GuinnessATX

GuinnessATX

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Alright so I've dealt with crappy computers for a long time and I'm ready to build a new one. I'm currently trying to play Darkfall and having lots of difficulty on this computer. I'd prefer not to limit myself to just Darkfall though -- I'd like to be able to play new games too. I already have a keyboard/speakers/mouse/monitor. So none of those are necessary right now. My budget is about $800 but If i need to spend a little more that's okay.
Thanks in advance. :)
Update:
Would it be okay to get something like this and then just put a new graphics card / power supply into it?

Edited by GuinnessATX, 09 August 2009 - 07:01 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Welcome :)

There's a lot you could do for $800, and buying that HP wouldn't be on my list. Which way would you want to go?

Troy

GuinnessATX

GuinnessATX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for your warm welcome. :)
After discussing with someone else, I'd agree that the HP isn't the way to go. What would you recommend as far as building one? (If it needs to break the $800 limit by a bit it's quite alright.)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Where are you located... I'm guessing USA?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay well here's a build for you, it looks pretty nice to me. Let me know what you think.

Case
Motherboard
Graphics Card
Power Supply
Processor
RAM
Hard Drive
DVD Burner
Windows OS

Cheers

GuinnessATX

GuinnessATX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That computer looks really good!
Any chance I could go to Quad core, 8GB Ram, and Vista 64 bit?
Thanks for all your help Troy.
:)

PS - yes, located central USA

Edited by GuinnessATX, 12 August 2009 - 09:01 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You're the one with the budget, so you tell me... :)

For RAM, order 2x that RAM kit.

Vista Home Basic x64
Vista Home Premium x64

Core 2 Quad Q9400 for the same price.

So really it's just the RAM as extra. A little over $800.

What you were after?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You should take advantage of Newegg's combo specials... look here: http://www.newegg.co...S...earch&item=

This is a good one: http://www.newegg.co...st=Combo.238370
With the mobo/cpu combo... buy the graphics card Troy suggested... later on you can get another one and run them in CrossfireX.

You can get this Hitachi 1TB drive for a little less than the WD one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822145233
It has a smaller cache though.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I like Troy's build as well.

A few little notes:

• I especially like the PSU choice. I don't suppose you've been reading a certain topic that influenced that choice? :)
  • Definitely go with Vista Premium. Vista Basic doesn't include a free upgrade to Windows 7!
  • ZipZoomFly is selling the WD Black 1TB hard drive for $70 after mail-in rebate and Bing cashback. (link). Definitely the best deal in hard drives right now.
  • That optical drive apparently installs some sort of annoying advertising malware... Go with this one instead.
  • 8GB of RAM is a waste of money for a gaming computer. I'm not aware of any game that makes use of 8GB of RAM... There are very, very few that even benefit from going from 2GB to 4GB.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

8GB of RAM is a waste of money for a gaming computer. I'm not aware of any game that makes use of 8GB of RAM... There are very, very few that even benefit from going from 2GB to 4GB.

I was thinking about that too... you don't need more than 4GB RAM unless you are going to do some really heavy video or photo editing.

A little note... if you are planning to get another graphics card and use two of them in SLI or CorssfireX, make sure that your PSU can take the load (If the cards are high-end models, otherwise the PSU should fair fine).

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

• I especially like the PSU choice. I don't suppose you've been reading a certain topic that influenced that choice? :)
  • That optical drive apparently installs some sort of annoying advertising malware... Go with this one instead.

You had me confused with the PSU comment, then I remembered the tutorial thread - the same one! :) I just did some searching and thought it looked like it had all the goodies needed for a fair price.

For the optical drive "malware", got a link? I use them all the time here in the shop and I've never had a problem with it. How can an optical drive possibly install malware?

Troy

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

For the optical drive "malware", got a link? I use them all the time here in the shop and I've never had a problem with it. How can an optical drive possibly install malware?

Read the Newegg reviews. Apparently the malware/adware/annoyingware is embedded in the firmware. I know Newegg reviews aren't exactly full of the best technical information, but I figure it's better to be on the safe side and get a similar drive for the same price that doesn't potentially have this issue.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://lgknowledgeba...mp;EntryID=6271

Looks like you can choose not to install it, or uninstall it as any other program. Not sure if I'd call it "malware" but it's certainly a new one on me. Embedding it in the firmware, of all things... :)

GuinnessATX

GuinnessATX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you everyone for your help, the overall build I have from the collaboration looks great! Ill post when its complete. :) :)

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

8GB of RAM is a waste of money for a gaming computer. I'm not aware of any game that makes use of 8GB of RAM... There are very, very few that even benefit from going from 2GB to 4GB.

Not to HiJack, And I agree with that statement. But amount of ram is based on what he will be doing. If just gaming get 4 for now then you can look at 8 later. But if your looking at running A LOT of programs, video editing / encoding, intensive programs, or playing a game like Garrys Mod then 4+ is a must, since I can have 6.5gb out of 8 just to garrys mod a lone.

But that build looks good :)