Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to delete Windows.old Folder?

• Please log in to reply

Rx7_HKS

Rx7_HKS

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hey, so I just finished reformatting my hard drive and I noticed that Vista saved my old Windows folder as 'Windows.Old'. The folder itself contains over 10 gigs worth of files that I no longer need but I can't delete it because I don't have access to some of the files, and I'm the administrator.

How can I take control of the access to it so I can delete it? Thank you! =)

Advertisements

XxFadedxX

XxFadedxX

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
You can try running it in safe mode because maybe the files in the folder are being used. If running your computer in safe mode still can't remove folder, I would run a live cd and mount the hard drive containing the folder then delete it. If you don't know what a live cd is, they are cd's that can run an os straight from the CD rom drive. Popular ones are Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, and etc... But make sure that the files in the folder are useless before deleting them.

TheWhiteRose000

TheWhiteRose000

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
For me I just select the file.
Click delete and I'm Finished.

8D

Unless like he said you got files running in it.
In 7 I believe you have to change the properties to make you a admin.
Via right click.

x3
I am not at the house right now so I can't check visually.