Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to power resources

• Please log in to reply

XxFadedxX

XxFadedxX

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, I want to buy a Terabyte internal Hard drive for my computer but I do not know if the power supply can handle it.
1)Is there a program or way to check the power resources so that I can see?
2)Also, is there a program or way to turn on/off an internal hard drive so it doesn't waste resources while the computer is running?
3)And finally, if I decide to buy an enclosure for it, what should I look for when choosing?

I run Vista Ultimate 32bit and Ubuntu 9.04.
Thank you for reading my questions.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hard drives typically don't draw more than 20 watts or so, but can demand a bit more with first spinning up. If you have not added hardware since new, you are probably alright. But if your current PSU is already supporting more RAM, and especially a new graphics card, it is probably time to upgrade the PSU. See my canned text below for sizing up a new one.

I don't know of any program that will allow you to power down individual drives.

I have never been happy with enclosures - perhaps it is because they have all been USB, and I have never been happy with USB. Hopefully 3.0 will fix that. So I would look for an eSATA enclosure. Hopefully your computer has an eSATA port. If not, you can buy a card, or try USB.

Use the eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to determine your power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years (extra drives, bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc.). Be sure to read and heed the notes at the bottom of the page. I recommend setting Capacitor Aging to 30%, and if you participate in distributive computing projects (e.g. BOINC or Folding@Home), I recommend setting TDP to 100%. Research your video card and pay particular attention to the power supply requirements for your card listed on your video card maker's website. If not listed, check a comparable card (same graphics engine and RAM) from a different maker. The key specifications, in order of importance are:
  • Current (amperage or amps) on the +12V rail,
  • Efficiency,
  • Total wattage.
Then look for power supply brands listed under the "Good" column of PC Mechanic's PSU Reference List. Ensure the supplied amperage on the +12V rails of your chosen PSU meets the requirements of your video card. Don't try to save a few dollars by getting a cheap supply. Digital electronics, including CPUs, RAM, and today's advanced graphics cards, need clean, stable power. A good, well chosen supply will provide years of service and upgrade wiggle room. I strongly recommend you pick a supply with an efficiency rating equal to, or greater than 80%. Look for the 80 Plus - EnergyStar Compliant label. And don't forget to budget for a good UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation).

XxFadedxX

XxFadedxX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks so much!