Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

opera wont run

• Please log in to reply

jo mcanaly

jo mcanaly

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: i foolishly caught 180 solution and seve.exe. Did some( 7 hrs) housecleaning even bought spy dr. finally swept out the 180 and seeve but i think i over clicked in 'hijack this' cause now my opera website crashes befor it even starts. can you help oh mighty stranger out there in cyberland?

Advertisements

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
reinstall opera

use another browser to get the installation exe file

jo mcanaly

jo mcanaly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i did that (new opera) still doesnt open. i got the same message yesterday when i tried to open this ( Geeks to Go ) site but not this morning. how do i get another browser? which one?do i just down load, say, firefox ?

Edited by jo mcanaly, 16 May 2005 - 09:11 PM.

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
if you can use another computer to download Firefox just save the installation file to disk
go to www.firefox.com

use this browser to access the internet so you can start trying to resolve your problems, does IE not work?

did you know that you can use several different browsers on the same computer, its just another tool to access the internet

Also, have you been using Ad-aware and spybot....what about CWShredder?
These tools can all be found at www.pcworld.com in the downloads section under anti-spyware

Good Luck

Edited by John_Doe, 14 May 2005 - 06:29 PM.

jo mcanaly

jo mcanaly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ie does work/ using adaware and spybot /tried cw once but it over shredded my files and left me hanging for a few days/ im not the saviest surfer and if i can get in trouble i do/ i think i find it a bit exciting to get all f@@@ up then find the solution. as i said in original post i tried spy doctor are you familiar? is it worthwile. i was not too impressed/ but hijack this seems very powerful!
Ive got firefox running and tried loading opera through it but still no luck / thanks for comments john wil post again soon. smiley face

chessonly

chessonly

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Make sure to reinstall opera in a new directory. Also hav u deleted your profile folder( all your settings r in this)
To backup info simply goto opera.com and search their knowledgebase

jo mcanaly

jo mcanaly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yo chessonly thanks for advice on new dir. will do and get back soon. ive seen this problem posted at virtual doctor and sure would like to be able to help out someone else if this works. :tazz: that did it thanks chess from jm

Edited by jo mcanaly, 16 May 2005 - 09:49 PM.

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
Also, don't forget about the profile. It could be a cirrupted profile. I had one with Thunderbird nd lost all my mail. Also, had it with Netscape 3 (gasp), and it did the same thing you seem to have. But, now however, Windows XP can usually tell you about corrupted this, this, and that.

jo mcanaly

jo mcanaly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK! I'm back in biz w/ opera. I don't know how to delete profile so I'll google that topic and try. If someone wants to give me a quick tutorial ill be happy. Often just a couple of words will get me off and running.

chessonly

chessonly

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
help > about. look at location of profile folder.
all settings stored (including bookmarks) inhere

which files to backup:
http://www.opera.com...h.dml?index=313