Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PSU help needed

• Please log in to reply

Eden1

Eden1

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
hi ,
have a fault in my desktop -trying to test if it's the PSU .
This is the model in the tower -

Bestec model no ATX 12E REV F1R 300 W Max
input 100 - 127 V /200-240 V -3a 50/60 hz
output +12v 15a -12v 0.8a
5v 30a +5vsb 2a
+3.3v 28a
+ 5v & 3.3v Max
+ 5v & +12v & +3.3v 288w Max

I have a previous tower fitted with this PSU -

Tsunami Model Lc B350 ATX
Input 115 /230 v 8/4a 60/50 W
Output 350 W
+ 3.3v 8.5v output max 200 w
+3.3v, 5v & +12 v output max 330 w

Can anyone tell me whether this PSU can replace the Beltec - are the specs compatible , i think all the cables are the same ?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
As long as both are standard ATX supplies - that is, not modified by the PC maker, then you are fine to use the Tsunami.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Bestec = Eww.
Is it an eMachines by any chance?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Either that or Gateway, I suspect, since Gateway owns eMachines.

Eden1

Eden1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi guys ,
Thanks for your replies - yes you are quite correct it does belong to an old emachine E4076 . Only an old system i'm looking into getting fixed to use as a backup to my newer model ....NOT Emachine !

Unfortunately the Tsunami doesn't seem to have any life in it so i'll have to get another PSU and test it out .
Suggestions on make/model anyone ?
Thanks

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
If the eMachine is on its original power supply AND is more than about three years old, I think a new power supply isn't going to fix it.

The Bestec power supplies that these machines go out with are really shoddy low-quality units. After a while (typically three years) the PSU malfunctions for various reasons (surge damage is most likely), and as the units have no overvoltage protection, it then starts sending increasing amounts of voltage down the power lines, more than the board was designed to take so in effect the entire motherboard is being slowly fried to death, until one day it just gives up the ghost entirely. Serious cases are known to fry the processor as well, not that that's any great loss in the majority of eMachines since they're only low-end Celeron processors anyway and the boards were so slow it was unbelievable.

This is such a common problem with eMachines, in fact its the most likely cause of death in eMachines everywhere. Why Gateway let this go on for as long as it has is anybody's guess.

Eden1

Eden1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Neil ,

Thanks for your thoughts - i'm sure that Emachines do have these faults as you say . Weird thing is i'm not really sure what is wrong with this particular system , it's been suggested i change PSU or maybe motherboard but would that fit these symptoms ?-
PC not posting properly (if at all) and crashing/restarting .
Basically after switch on i get logo screen with "BiosF2 & Boot Menu F10"
then black screen with "F11 to satart recover "
Black screen then XP & desktop page ....not post appears .

Sometimes the machine gets to Desktop and might appear normal for an hour or so but equally crashes to restart at anytime .
Any ideas - thing i'm confused about is would a faulty/failing PSU cause a no post and the same for a bad/damaged mobo ?

Any help much appreciated ?

Thanks in advance ...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

Any ideas - thing i'm confused about is would a faulty/failing PSU cause a no post and the same for a bad/damaged mobo ?

PSUs that are faulty do cause systems not to POST.
PSUs that are faulty also tend to produce really unstable systems that tend to fall over randomly.
If the machine was on its original PSU, for reasons I've already explained, it's also likely there is mainboard damage. Yes it'll cost more to replace the board and the PSU but in reality the original eMachines board was rubbish anyway. Even a low-end budget board would perform better than it.

Eden1

Eden1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
PSUs that are faulty do cause systems not to POST.
PSUs that are faulty also tend to produce really unstable systems that tend to fall over randomly.
If the machine was on its original PSU, for reasons I've already explained, it's also likely there is mainboard damage. Yes it'll cost more to replace the board and the PSU but in reality the original eMachines board was rubbish anyway. Even a low-end budget board would perform better than it.
[/quote]

Hi Neil ,
Thanks for your further advice - sounds like sound advice to me and i'll be looking into it . I'm just amazed a failing PSU can give these sorts of symptoms -though i do now realise just how poor the emachine units are .
By the way -this model is/was running a P4 processor and by the looks of it the mobo says - " Intel Desktop Board D 10Z GGC2 " -
if that means anything ?
so i'm looking for something something compatible to replace that ?

Eden1

Eden1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
"mobo says - " Intel Desktop Board D 10Z GGC2 " -
[/quote]

sorry think that should be " Intel Desktop Board D102 GGC2 "

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Socket 775 board.
Any Socket 775 board will do.
Might be worth considering the processor too, since that board only supports Celerons and low-end Pentium 4's. Any other 775 board would support a Core 2 Duo which would wipe the floor with what you have now.

I should be fair, the board probably was decent at its time, eMachines tend to put Celeron processors in which are cheaper but they're not super-good at very much, that being said there wasn't a lot of choice as to what the particular board supports.

Eden1

Eden1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Socket 775 board.
Any Socket 775 board will do.
Might be worth considering the processor too, since that board only supports Celerons and low-end Pentium 4's. Any other 775 board would support a Core 2 Duo which would wipe the floor with what you have now.

That's great to know Neil , thanks very much for that i'll certainly be looking into that. Like the sound of a core 2 duo i must admit ...
one other thing can you suggest any makes of PSU and models i should be going for.. something mid range power wise i would think as i don't intend loading anything excessive into the system ?
Thanks very much for your help .

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

can you suggest any makes of PSU and models i should be going for

Use the eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to determine your power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years (extra drives, bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc.). Be sure to read and heed the notes at the bottom of the page. I recommend setting Capacitor Aging to 30%, and if you participate in distributive computing projects (e.g. BOINC or Folding@Home), I recommend setting TDP to 100%. Research your video card and pay particular attention to the power supply requirements for your card listed on your video card maker's website. If not listed, check a comparable card (same graphics engine and RAM) from a different maker. The key specifications, in order of importance are:
  • Current (amperage or amps) on the +12V rail,
  • Efficiency,
  • Total wattage.
Then look for power supply brands listed under the "Good" column of PC Mechanic's PSU Reference List. Ensure the supplied amperage on the +12V rails of your chosen PSU meets the requirements of your video card. Don't try to save a few dollars by getting a cheap supply. Digital electronics, including CPUs, RAM, and today's advanced graphics cards, need clean, stable power. A good, well chosen supply will provide years of service and upgrade wiggle room. I strongly recommend you pick a supply with an efficiency rating equal to, or greater than 80%. Look for the 80 Plus - EnergyStar Compliant label. And don't forget to budget for a good UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation).

Eden1

Eden1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks Digerati,

I appreciate the advice and PSU pointers , i'm looking into a replacement PSU first to try on this present set up ...JUST in case it solves the problem . However i'm expecting it will be as suggested a Mobo problem which i will then have to update .So i only really want to get one PSU - a model that would work the present unit but more especially a PSU that will be ok with a newer mobo ...if needed .
I'll definitely get a good brand ...something like a Corsair 400w-450w i reckon would do the trick ...hopefully that will be ok with an upgraded mobo .
Like i say i only want it as a backup system ...tempted by something like the core 2 duo though ..

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, I would buy a PSU that will carry you through the next couple years. So if you think you might get a Core 2 Duo with lots of RAM and nice graphics card, buy a PSU that will meet those needs now, then you will not have to buy another later.