Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PSU help needed

• Please log in to reply

Eden1

Eden1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Well, I would buy a PSU that will carry you through the next couple years. So if you think you might get a Core 2 Duo with lots of RAM and nice graphics card, buy a PSU that will meet those needs now, then you will not have to buy another later.

Yes that's what i have in mind , the present RAM ( 2x 1gb DDR2) is only pretty recent so ideally i'd like to use that in a replacement (compatible) mobo .
I definitely see the sense in going for a good make PSU ,ie corsair of a sensible wattage (around 400-450 w) -i'm not intending to load anything excessive beyond a standard set up .
Any PSU suggestions to suit these requirements ?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I like Corsair PSUs, but I am not sure I would call 400W sensible these days. 550 - 650 would be more so, assuming adequate current on the 12V rail, and to future proof your purchase. It is important to remember the computer draws from the wall what it needs, not what the PSU can deliver.

Eden1

Eden1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Digerati ,
Yes point taken ..i was mainly thinking of the size of the unit in the current setup and basically going up about a third higher again thinking that will be sufficient .
But i will think again - especially if/when i upgrade the mobo etc .

thanks for your advice , much appreciated .