Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIFI connection to mobile phone for file sharing.....

• Please log in to reply

valleyboy

valleyboy

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Hi,

I have a Sony Ericsson W995 and am banging my head against a wall trying to connect it to my laptop. Laptop is running Windows XP Media Centre edition with service pack 3.

I have connected the phone to my local network router, no issues here, able to surf the net and send emails from the phone etc.

I have also enabled file sharing on the phone. If I am correct, this should enable me to access files stored on the phone from other devices connected to the same network ie. my laptop?

Problem appears when trying to access the phone from the laptop. I have found the phone within 'My Network Places', but when I click open (or double click the icon) I am asked to enter the username and password. Now then; I am pretty sure I know what the username and password are as obviously I created them. However, I can not seem to get the configuration right so that the network allows me past this point.

I must be doing something wrong..........any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Valleyboy :)

P.S. Apologies if this is in the wrong section of the forum. Not really sure where it should go.

Edited by valleyboy, 09 August 2009 - 09:27 AM.

Advertisements

derdy

derdy

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Are they in the same workgroup/domain? You're entering the username/pass of the phone, correct?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.sonyerics...1225_2146_1.pdf

that's the manual for your phone...it LOOKS like the only type of "network file sharing" that it supports is their "DLNA" stuff...which seems to only work when you've got DLNA enabled devices...which suggests that you would need to have some form of client on your computer to access the files on the phone itself...HOWEVER this seems to be one way communication so you can only access files on the phone...not put them there or take them off...it's like media streaming

http://www.sonyerics...1223_9310_1.pdf

that's the DLNA manual