Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printing with a USR router wont work with Vista

• Please log in to reply

Willny

Willny

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all. My first post on this forum and i really hope that someone out there can help me. The issue i have is regarding my Vista machine is unable to print on my HP 1010 printer which is connect to my router (Usr8200).

To the router an XP machine is connected aswell and obviously there is no problems printing from this one.
I've done the basic stuff start>control panel>printers>add new printer> add a network printer. Where it starts to search for the printer without result. Then i've tried to manually select the printer using both "Pick a shared printer using name" (sry if the translations seems odd, got a swedish version of windows), then typing \\usr8200\hpLaserJet1010 which did the charm on the XP machine. Im asked to login onto the router, i do, then i get an error message reading: "Couldnt connect with the printer. jadda jadda (error 0x0000052e).
Then i found a potential workaround guide where you added a local printer and changing the port, a guide that helped alot of others but not me.
I've connected the printer directly to my vista machine and it worked just fine. But i need the printer to stay connected to my router and still be able to print from my vista.
The Vista and the XP computers are on the same workgroup, and printing/file sharing is enabled.

If more info is needed to adress the issue, do let me know. I cant really find anything more useful to add to this post atm.

Kind Regards Willny

Advertisements

Willny

Willny

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Been spending some more time with this and i just can't understand why it doesnt work.. Do i really have to switch back to XP in order to use my printer that's connected to the network router? =/

rev_olie

rev_olie

• PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Hi,

Welcome to GeeksToGo :)

Now I have a few questions and a possible fix for you here just to make sure I know were you are,

Do you have printer sharing turned on?
(Start > Control Panel > Networks and Sharing centre > Printer sharing on

Do you have the printers driver installed on the Vista machine?
This is usually not a problem with XP but Vista usually has a problem

Take a look at This Guide just to make sure your configuring it properly.

If you need to find the routers IP address you could ping it from inside your network eg:

Start > Run and type cmd
Enter something like: ping -r 1 www.geekstogo.com
You will then get a reply like:

Reply from XX.XX.XXX.XX: bytes=32 time=294ms TTL=56
Route: XXX.XXX.XX.XX

The number behind the Route is your routers IP address

Edited by rev_olie, 17 August 2009 - 02:40 AM.