Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hard Drive, Help.

• Please log in to reply

ClickBangKiss

ClickBangKiss

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I have an old Northgate computer with 37gb of memory on it, of course that is not enough so I decided to upgrade the hard drive to a 320gb. I hooked up the new hard drive and insetred my windows xp recovery cd, it asked if I wanted to format and re-install windows, I said yes, and then it said "disk 0 is now the selected disk", and it doesn't do anything after that. What am I doing wrong?

Could it be because of the Jumper settings? This new hard drive will be the only drive...

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Welcome :)

Could you possibly take a shot and post it? The message you got doesn't ring a bell at all from the normal Windows XP disc, so it must be the manufacturer's version to install XP and I'd need to see it.

Also, for how long do you leave the computer? Did you wait 5 minutes or 50 minutes?

If the new hard drive is an IDE, and is going to be the only drive in the system, then it should be set to Master and on its own channel.

Troy

ClickBangKiss

ClickBangKiss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I used the recovery disk that came with the pc.

I left the computer on overnight. I bought a western digital 320 gb hard drive and I used tried the jumper settings in the handbook to set it to master and it didn't work.

I asked Geek Squad about it and they think it could be my pc's motherboard, but I connected my old hard drive again and it works just fine, so I don't think its the mother board.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
How old is old? It may be that your motherboard is too old to use the complete 320GB hard drive... It may be back from the day when hard drives weren't anywhere near that size?

ClickBangKiss

ClickBangKiss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Are you able to see and access the drive from an OS? A good way to test this would be to download and burn a Linux live CD on another computer. Puppy Linux is simple to use and a small download.