Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Window Appears During XP Home User Logon Screen

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I recently began to see a strange window that appears before windows logon, with some weird characters inside and strange title. This all happened while I was cleaning my computer from a virus following all the steps in the Malware sections "RUN AND READ ME" at majorgeeks.com [specifically after running their MGTools].

The weird characters inside the window always change during every reboot. I have to press the "OK" button otherwise I can't enter my password. Here's some pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition SP3 with 512Mb of Ram

I'm about to shoot my foot off... This is driving me insane : :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) .

TimW from their Malware forum tried to help me in the thread I started but he said it's time to ask for help elsewhere in a software forum since he really doesn't know what the cause could be. Here's the thread I started in the Malware section of majorgeeks.com in case you want to know everything that happened during the virus removal, when this added problem started happening:

http://forums.majorg...ad.php?t=195710

The only thing that he just thought of was using msconfig to start up in Diagnostic Mode. That did bear fruit and doesn't make the weird message pop up during the logon screen. But I don't know what to do from there, and how to get it to not do that in Normal Mode.

Thanks...

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Hi there :)

Registry Modifications

Please copy the entire contents of the codebox below into Notepad:
  • Open Notepad (go to Start>Run and type in notepad)
  • Copy the contents of the codebox below using CTRL+C (or selecting all the text in the box, and right clicking on it and selecting Copy)
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "LegalNoticeCaption"="LARGE ANNOYING BOX"
    "LegalNoticeText"="This box will be gone soon"

• Now return to Notepad and use CTRL + V (or rightclick on the whitespace and Paste) to paste the script
  • Verify that you have pasted the complete script
  • Save the Notepad file to your Desktop as FixReg.reg using Save as Type: All files
  • Locate FixReg.reg on your desktop
  • Double click to run, and when prompted Allow the file to merge with your registry
  • OK your way out.

After that, reboot the computer into the mode in which you see the box. You should notice that the box has changed slightly.

Then go back into the mode you have been working in, and do the same thing, using the following fix instead:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"LegalNoticeCaption"=""
"LegalNoticeText"=""

And reboot the machine. It should be gone

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
That didn't work AT ALL. I had to restore my OS using a cloned image I made of it with ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE SOFTWARE. It's the first time I've used it and I must say it's wayyyy better than any other imaging software out there. AMAZING! Put my entire system the way it was before.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
:) great. Thank you for getting back to me on that.

I'm glad you got it all sorted out

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Yah that was probably a result of the virus... But man that's serious because NO PROGRAM COULD DETECT IT AT ALL. I tried trendmicro, eset, bitdefender, etc. The only thing that took it off the virus off my system was COMBOFIX, but that also ruined my system too! Lol... I don't know how it did what it did but it was quite the scare.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Quick question. I am curious about something: Did my fix have any effect on your system?

The way you answered earlier made it seem as though what I suggested brought your computer to such a bad state that you were forced to use your backup. Is this the case?

If so, I do deeply apologize. I should have done something that, should anything bad happen, we could revert back to where we started without much heartache.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
No worries, it actually had no affect on my system whatsoever. I just got fed up and used my backup image after wards.

Thanks for your help!

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Oh good :)