Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio Driver Problem

• Please log in to reply

offspring_fan101

offspring_fan101

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey.

what i have is Nvidia nForce Audio Codec Interface giving me trouble. When i go to play any audio, i get an error:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

and when i go to open my NV mixer, i get:

"The application cannot start because it could not detect NVIDIA nforce hardware on your system. If this is an nforce system, check the windows Device Manager to ensure the NVIDIA nforce audio codec interface component is not disabled or conflicting with another component. The application will now shutdown"

I've checked the device manager, there are no conflicts or other problems shown. Audio won't play at all, not just with Windows Media player. I think it started when i was downloading windows updates from the windowsupdate.com site. I got the blue screen of death, and 5 drivers die, fixed 3 of them by reinstalling, but the audio didn't fix. I accidentally installed an extra audio codec while trying to fix things, i think that may be the problem, but i can't unistall it. I've tried system restore as well, and scanned for viruses. Also, I uninstalled my enumerator..whatever that is....and don't know how to get it back either.. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, I am running out of ideas on how to get this thing to work again!!!!

I suspect the problem is because i accidentally installed a generic audio driver, but "uninstall" isn't an option. I have found the file for the driver (audstub) in the system32 file, but am wondering if deleteing that file will cause problems for the computer since it won't properly be unintsalled.

LOTS OF THANKS
Craig

Edited by offspring_fan101, 12 May 2005 - 06:52 PM.

Advertisements

offspring_fan101

offspring_fan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Here is info about my system, if you need more, please let me know, and tell me how to get it!
THX:

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Computer:
AMD athlon ™ XP
2.29 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name SHINYTOY
System Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
System Model A7N8X-E
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2290 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1009, 04/02/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name SHINYTOY\Craig
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 171.40 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.drivercleaner.net/

download the above, then reboot into safe mode and remove all nvidia software (system), then boot normal, decline the hardware wizard, and install your nforce drivers again

offspring_fan101

offspring_fan101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, how do I reboot in safe mode?

bhmax16

bhmax16

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
As your computer is restarting tap F8 a few times BEFORE the Windows XP thing shows up (hopefully you know what I mean). Tapping the F8 key will bring you to a screen with a menu of startup options that should read something like what I included below this message. Select safe mode and you should be good to go. Be thankful this is the only problem you're having, you should take a look at what I'm dealing with here! http://www.geekstogo...rk_-t24527.html.

Goodluck!

Windows Advanced Options Menu
Please select an option:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable VGA mode
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
Debugging Mode

Start Windows Normally
Reboot
Return to OS Choices Menu