Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winsock problem/can't connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

pony66

pony66

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Had no problems connecting to internet until one night unplugged pc from power strip during storm. Next morning pc wouldn't power on;had to reset fuse. Everything works fine but can't connect to internet.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 running Windows XP. Have ZoneAlarm security and have found no viruses or spyware. I connect wired via Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller ethernet card connected directly to a Hughesnet HN 9000 modem. Hughesnet has checked their equipment and the modem connects fine to the satellite. I can also connect 2 other laptops without any problems.

I have booted up in safe mode and can't connect. The device manager shows the Broadcom controller is working properly. I upgraded the Broadcom drive to the latest from their website.

I copied the winsock2 registry and then deleted it. Then tried to reset using cmd> netsh int ip reset but get "initialization function inithelperdll in IP MONTR.DLL failed to start error 10107."

When I run network diagnostics from Internet Explorer, it detect a problem with windsock provider catalog and it tries to reset the catalog to default config. After rebooting, still can't connect to internet.

I can provide ipconfig /all if requested.

At this point I may have tried too many things! Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Hi there :)

Microsoft developed a tool for this specific problem. Please download the file HERE and transfer it over to the computer that does not have internet before running it.

Please provide a ipconfig /all as well.

pony66

pony66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your help.

I have run the program suggested and rebooted but still can't connect to internet.

ipconfig /all info:

host name: xxxx
primary dns suffix:
node type: hybrid
ip routing enabled: no
wins proxy enabled: no

ethernet adapter LAC:
connection-specific dns suffix:
description: Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller
physical address: xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
dhcp enabled: yes
autoconfiguration enabled: yes
autoconfiguration ip address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xx
subnet mask: 255.xxx.x.x
default gateway:

This is the only information displayed.

Appreciate the help!

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Ok, let's try the manual fix suggested by Microsoft HERE

Step 1:

Delete these keys in the registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2]

After that, Reboot your machine. You need to do so before the next step for it to work.

Step 2: Install TCP/IP

• Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.
  • Click Install.
  • Click Protocol, and then click Add.
  • Click Have Disk.
  • Type C:\Windows\inf, and then click OK.
  • On the list of available protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.

If Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) does not appear, follow these steps:
    • Click Start, and then click Search.
    • In the Search Companion pane, click More advanced options.
    • Click to select the following three check boxes:
      • Search system folders
      • Search hidden files and folders
      • Search subfolders
    • In the All or part of the file name box, type nettcpip.inf, and then click Search.
    • In the results pane, right-click Nettcpip.inf, and then click Install.
  • Restart the computer.

pony66

pony66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I followed the steps at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259.

When I ran "netsh winsock reset" (after running cmd) and rebooted my pc, it would not shut down and I had to hold the on/off switch until it cut off. I then rebooted.
Next, I ran regedit and deleted the stated winsock files. The pc rebooted w/o any problems. I installed the tcp/ip protocol as per the instructions at the microsoft webpage and rebooted.

Not sure what I have done but now ipconfig /all consists only of:

Host name: xxxxx
Primary DNS suffix:
Node type: unknown
IP Routing enabled: no
WINS proxy enabled: no

From Internet Explorer, I ran Tools, Diagnose Connection Problem. It states that it "could not get proxy settings via the automatic proxy configuration mechanism. That the computer has the following default gateway entry: 0.0.0.0
There is no default gateway entry and the network adapter is disabled."

Not sure what to do next or what to check. Any ideas will be appreciated. My laptop has worked with no problems.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Your network adapter is not functioning as it should.

Try downloading and installing the drivers once more.

Edited by NeonFx, 15 August 2009 - 02:43 PM.

pony66

pony66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried to reload the ethernet card drivers but the program would stop working. When I tried to roll back to the previous driver, the pc locked up. My husband was able to borrow a netgear card. After installation, I can connect to the internet now without any problems. Thank you for the help.