Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows root /system32hal.dll

• Please log in to reply

BLKURA

BLKURA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

BLKURA:

Are you able to boot into the Safe Mode Admin account?

I've tried that I believe by pressing F8, didn't work either.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Until your disk arrives....

If you have Windows CD...(if you don't have Windows CD, scroll down)

1. Insert your Windows XP CD into your CD and assure that your CD-ROM drive is capable of booting the CD.
2. Once you have booted from CD, do NOT select the option that states: Press F2 to initiate the Automated System Recovery (ASR) tool.
You’re going to proceed until you see the following screen, at which point you will press the “R” key to enter the recovery console:

Posted Image

3. After you have selected the appropriate option from step two, you will be prompted to select a valid Windows installation (typically number “1″).
Select the installation number, and hit Enter.
If there is an administrator password for the administrator account, enter it and hit Enter (if asked for the password, and you don't know it, you're out of luck).
You will be greeted with this screen, which indicates a recovery console at the ready:

Posted Image

4. There are eight commands you must enter in sequence to repair your problem..
NOTE. Make sure, you press Enter after each command. Make sure, all commands are exact, including "spaces".
These commands are as follows:

CD..
ATTRIB -H C:\boot.ini
ATTRIB -S C:\boot.ini
ATTRIB -R C:\boot.ini
del boot.ini
BOOTCFG /Rebuild

Note about the above command.
BOOTCFG /REBUILD command which searches for pre-existing installations of Windows XP and rebuilds sundry essential components of the Windows operating system, recompiles the BOOT.INI file and corrects a litany of common Windows errors.
It is very important that you do one or both of the following two things:
A.) Every Windows XP owner must use /FASTDETECT as OS Load Option when the rebuild process is finalizing.
B.) If you are the owner of a CPU featuring Intel’s XD or AMD’s NX buffer overflow protection, you must also use /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN as an OS Load Option.
For the Enter Load Identifier portion of this command, you should enter the name of the operating system you have installed.
If, for example, you are using Windows XP Home, you could type Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition for the identifier (it's not crucial, however what the name is, as long, as it's meaningful).
Here is your computer screen:

Posted Image

5. Following command verifies the integrity of the hard drive containing the Windows XP installation. While this step is not an essential function in our process, it’s still good to be sure that the drive is physically capable of running windows, in that it contains no bad sectors or other corruptions that might be the culprit:

CHKDSK /R

6. This last command writes a new boot sector to the hard drive and cleans up all the loose ends we created by rebuilding the BOOT.INI file and the system files. When the Windows Recovery Console asks you if you are Sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C: ? just hit “Y”, then Enter to confirm your decision:

FIXBOOT

7. It’s time to reboot your PC by typing
EXIT
and pressing Enter.

With any luck, your PC will boot successfully into Windows XP as if your various DLL, Hive, EXE and NTLDR errors never existed.

If you don't have Windows CD...
Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Then, follow instructions from Step #3 above.

BLKURA

BLKURA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok please forgive my stupidity. For what ever reason I thought the computer was running xp home edition. Actually i'm running media edition, Dell did send the correct disc. Sorry for the confusion.

The above did not work either...

Any guesses?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Dell did send the correct disc

If I'm not mistaken, Dell's CD offers non-destructive Windows reinstallation.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Actually, most Dell Recovery disks contain the option for doing the repair installation.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Thanks for confirmation. I spent too much on the computer today, and I wasn't sure, if I was dreaming, or what...LOL

BLKURA

BLKURA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Actually, most Dell Recovery disks contain the option for doing the repair installation.

I've used the repair option numerous times, which does work in booting windows. However as i've stated on the first page, after restarting windows/logging off, i get the error message again.

After doing bootcfg /rebuild a note appears. Stating the disks need to be scanned again because it's only vaild for the session. Am I missing a step here which is causing the repair to only save for that current session???

BLKURA

BLKURA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok so I believe i'm close to solving the problem. The computer has been low on virtual memory for a fews weeks now. So i ordered a 1gb ram stick from Dell and installed in the day after i first started getting the windowsroot error.

I believe the xp disc is repairing the error but not fully because of the virtual memory being low. I don't believe the 1 gb ram stick is showing when i right click on my computer. I'm certain this is the problem, but not sure what steps i need to take at this point.

My system restore has been suspended due to low disc space. I have over 750mb of free memory and yet it won't allow me to reinstate system restore. I continues to get the "low virtual memory" balloon.

Edited by BLKURA, 11 August 2009 - 01:05 PM.