Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet explorer 8

• Please log in to reply

druzik

druzik

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all,

So I have run into an annoying problem, Internet explorer does not connect to the internet anymore... I am posting through Firefox... but some files I have seem to need IE to work.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE 8 twice and the same problem come up.

the error message on the page is "Internet explorer cannot display the web page" when I do a diagnose problem what I get is

"Windows cannot connect to the internet using HTTP, HTTPS, or FTP, this is probably caused by a firewall setting on this computer

Check the firewall settings for the HTTP port(80), HTTPS port(443) and FTP port (21)."

I have checked and made sure these are open but the problem still persists. Can anyone help please.

It seems that out outlook express certain files .eml need IE to work.

Advertisements

druzik

druzik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Can anyone help please?

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Hi there :)

Your problem seems more difficult to solve than most seeing as you already tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE8. This is probably why no one has responded.

If you use a firewall, have you tried disabling it completely to see if IE will work? Also, have you tried booting into SafeMode with Networking to test if IE will work there?

Try using THIS TOOL by Microsoft to reset your IE settings to their defaults. Reboot your system after doing so and see if this solves your problem.

druzik

druzik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi there :)

Your problem seems more difficult to solve than most seeing as you already tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE8. This is probably why no one has responded.

If you use a firewall, have you tried disabling it completely to see if IE will work? Also, have you tried booting into SafeMode with Networking to test if IE will work there?

Try using THIS TOOL by Microsoft to reset your IE settings to their defaults. Reboot your system after doing so and see if this solves your problem.

Will try that... thanks.

xMP44x

xMP44x

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
This is only a last resort suggestion.

If you absolutely cannot get Internet Explorer 8 to work, here are the two ideas I have :

1. Downgrade to Internet Explorer 7.
2. Download Mozilla Firefox, and install the 'IETab' add-on.

The IETab add-on allows Mozilla Firefox to display webpages designed for use with Internet Explorer in Firefox. I don't have the add-on, but some people I know have it and say it can be pretty useful. Have you messed with your firewall recently? You might have blocked IE8 from being allowed to connect to the web or something.

druzik

druzik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

THIS TOOL[/url] by Microsoft to reset your IE settings to their defaults. Reboot your system after doing so and see if this solves your problem.

Thanks this seems to have fixed it.

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Excellent :) glad to be of service

druzik

druzik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Excellent :) glad to be of service

Yup thank... nice site here too... I think this will fix a few other issues I was having with certain files that seemed to need IE to work.