Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Shortcuts don't work! HELP!

• Please log in to reply

schuttya

schuttya

• Pip
  • 1 posts
For example, when I click on the Firefox shortcut on my desktop, or for that matter any other icon ANYWHERE, it says "Choose the program you want to use to open this file..."

So I have to go under Program Files, Mozilla Firefox, and use the real copy from there.

This is the case with anything, including the god [bleep] system registry! I type in run / regedit, and it asks me to select a program to run it.

I cant select "always use this program" either.

PLEASE HELP ME! Is there any way I can fix this without using the Windows XP disc? Like most people I don't have the disc - I got my computer from Dell 3 years ago and all I have is the authentication key.

Please, I'm desperate!!!

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
Hi there :)

Because file associations are typically changed when computers are infected with malware, we typically refer users to the malware removal forums first. They will know what to do.

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTL, MBAM and RootRepeal logs.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

pcfix_3

pcfix_3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having a similar issue on a Win2k3 server. The server has a raid 5 configuration and after a HDD failure took down the system we replaced the failed disk. Now windows works fine with the exception of the fact that every shortcut does nothing (including those in the start menu). The only error that I receive is that "one or more services has failed to start" (upon startup before login) which is probably caused by the original issue but not a cause of it. I have tried creating a shortcut directly from a .exe file and it did nothing. When I click on a shortcut in the start menu I get the hour glass for about 1/4 of a second and nothing pops up, even in the task manager. Only shortcuts are affected for instance the calculator shortcut or the IE shortcut. I can run anything by going directly to the program in the program files folder or by typing the path in either the command prompt or the run dialog box. Please help.