Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk is not formatted

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
hmm strange for sure. :)
Time to go back and redo everything again and this time do not load the Tuneup Utilities.
Let's see if that works.

Advertisements

Pico32

Pico32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've found this while searching for solution
http://www.theadminz...ead.php?t=58430

i've downloaded the program but it don't run, I tried running it in DOS but it don't run too, any suggestions.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Whatever the Tuneup Utilities did it has rendered the OS useless.
Since you just did a fresh install I would suggest to just format it and start over. This time do not install Tuneup Utilities.
We can find other programs to do the same thing that will not cause this issue again.

Pico32

Pico32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I've re-installed XP again and this time I did not setup TuneUp Utilities and so far my hard is working better than ever and I've installed all my programs and windows updates and nothing happened.

Thanks rshaffer61 for your support and help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great to hear that our thinking from the beginning was correct. The problem is the Tuneup Utilities.

Now to help you out this is what I suggest instead of using that Tuneup program.
Some do not agree with my suggestion next but I think it never hurts to be extra careful.

First:

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

Run this once a week to keep the temp files, history in browser and cache cleaned up

Second:

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Do this once a week also to keep your drive in order so that it does not have to work to find files or parts of a program

Third:

Make sure you have a good AntiVirus program.
We suggest using one of the following two free programs. They use less system resources which in turn will not slow your system down.

Please download Avast from my signature below. Please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just reregister it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:

It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year

Avira which is located in my signature below.

Fourth:

Download SupeerAntiSpyware from my signature below. This will protect you from Spyware and like the above is not a resource hog.

Fifth:

Download Malwarebyte's from my signature below. This is added protection from Malware

Sixth and last:

Make sure you have a good Firewall. If not Windows built in firewall then get Comodo from my signature below.

Lastly do not run more then one of the Anti Virus programs as this can cause false positive and actually be dangerous

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lastly I would like to say:

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

Pico32

Pico32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thnx again for the help and for the advice.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome :) :)