Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

index.dat files

• Please log in to reply

tmaff

tmaff

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I would like to clear my browsing history completely, thus I clicked delete all personal files in Opera. This, however, does no get rid of the index.dat files that windows has hidden. I researched how to delete them and I started vista in safe mode with command prompt then typed (no quotes):

"CD \" enter
"del index.dat /s" enter

and that should have deleted them, but I get the message "Could not find C:\index.dat"

What am I doing wrong? Or are they non-existent because I don't use IE?

Sorry if this is in the wrong category, I couldn't find a more appropriate one.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You need Index.dat Suite: http://support.it-ma...=Index.datSuite to get rid of them.
CCleaner will do to. Just make sure, you don't touch registry part.

tmaff

tmaff

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, I guess I can give that method a try. Thanks

tmaff

tmaff

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
CCleaner only deletes Temporary files, history, cookies for Opera. Since I use Opera, do I not have a growing index.dat? Or does it not delete my index.dat? It deletes Temporary files, history, cookies, Autocomplete form history, index.dat for Internet Explorer so I'm guessing it either deosn't delete index.dat for Opera or Opera does not keep an index.dat.

Any advice on how to completely delete any tracks of online use that builds over time? I'm OCD and like to always clear things like temp files, emails, etc. hahaha

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Only Internet Explorer uses index.dat files, and yes, CCleaner cleans index.dat files.

tmaff

tmaff

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
so do yall know anything about how to clear operas compelte cache besides clicking delete all files under tools?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
http://www.verio.com...cfm?doc_id=3698

Advertisement