Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer wont turn on

• Please log in to reply

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
have you tried the video card on another machine? i would call up the motherboard company and see what they say, but taking out the mobo and replacinng it is a big pain....i would try the video card right now in another computer but it looks like you already also tried one in this original comptuer...could be a dead slot :tazz:- call the manufactor and see what they say

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
you dont have a PCIExpress slot on your board. if another card didnt work, replace the mobo.

edit- it is a pain to replace it, like soxrock says. you will have to call tiger to get the replacement, see what they have to say. my guess is they will send another mobo.

Edited by audioboy, 14 May 2005 - 03:53 PM.

scatfly

scatfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok...i got the system running qith video and everything. Bios works too. But when i go to put my OS on it this error comes up.

PXE-E61:Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I checked the cables and everything looked good. I am supposed to put in my OS right there arent i?

Thanks

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Go into bios and set the boot order to
1st boot device floppy
2nd cdrom
3rd hdd

Then put in your windows cd and restart.

How did you get the system to boot into bios? What was the fix?

Rick

scatfly

scatfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Somehow the processor wasnt sitting right, so thats how i got it into bios. I tried that boot order but it didnt help. Should i get new IDE cables? Or could it be the XP cd im using? Thanks

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Are you using a sata hdd?

If you are using a ide hdd then have only the hdd and cdr drives installed on seperate cables and make sure both are set to master.

Make sure the ide cables are installed the right way

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
scatfly

It sounds like you might be pretty new to some of this so please don't be offended if what I'm covering is "old hat". Lets just try one thing here first. Pull the power cord out of your machine and open up the case. There should be a little three pin socket near your battery labeled CMOS with a jumper covering two of the three pins. Lets find that and use a magnifying glass to confirm you have the correct header. Assuming thats a go, disconnect the 20 pin ATX power connector from your mother board itself. Leave it disconnected for the next step. Now - back to that little 3 pin header - remove the jumper from pins 1&2 and place it on pins 2&3. Give it a good 10 seconds and put it back on pins 1&2. Reconnect that 20 wire ATX power cable to your motherboard and make sure it snaps down in place (retention tab lock on one side). Now plug your power chord back in and try to fire up your machine while tapping on the delete key. If that gets you any action and you can get into your BIOS, set it for default values and F10 your way out. We can come back there later but let us know if this approach does anything for you.

Regards
:tazz:

scatfly

scatfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok...i got everything working. OS is on. But i still have one problem. I dont have sound. I have speakers and no sound comes out of them. Headphones dont work either. My mobo has onboard sound also. Thanks

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
lets see, you said this was a new build. have you installed your mobo drivers? that will activate any onboard peripherals, like sound, ethernet, etc.

scatfly

scatfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
yea...it plays just no sounds come out of my speakers. These are new speakers also.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
if you havent installed the mobo drivers, do that.
also go to device manager, see if you can see the onboard sound. it will something like realtek or via, or AC97.
anything with yellow !'s by them?

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
And, another couple of thoughts to add to your list of things to check out. When you go into the control panel to check as audioboy suggested re: yellow exclamation marks, if there are none - after you exit System, stop by Sounds and Audio Devices and go to the Audio Tab. If there is a check mark in use only prefered devices - take it out. Then look at the advanced setting under the Audio tab and setup your speakers corresponding to what you actually have. We can also focus (excuse me for sounding so basic) on the backside of your computer and see if you are plugged in properly. Make sure the green speaker jack is in the green speaker outlet and make sure its all the way in. If you've got digital or 4 channel speakers - post back.

:tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If I may butt in for a moment....
I noticed you mentioned something about a jumper being moved etc which may or may not be relevant here but, are you using the rear speaker connections as opposed to the front panel audio? (ie the connection on the front of the case).

IF you're sound card does turn out to be installed correctly, then check the jumpers on the front panel audio. If you are using the rear speakers, then the front panel audio header (bottom left corner of mobo, header labelled CN24) must have two jumpers on it. One jumper across pins 5-6 and the other over pins 9-10.

Correctly jumpered it should look like this (but in a straighter line obviously!):
CN24
o o
o o
[o o]
o
[o o]

Without these 2 jumpers, the sound output is directed to the front audio header instead of being piped back to the speakers ports on the rear of the case.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
very good point samm!

jump into one of my threads anytime, your input is always valued and helpful :tazz:

scatfly

scatfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thanks so much...it works now. The jumpers werent even on there.