Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nVidia Driver crashes

• Please log in to reply

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I'd rather pay geek squad $300+ to do it for me. I don't trust myself that much. Unless you can do it with an external hard drive (one that connects via USB or over a network.)

Advertisements

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
This is bad: after leaving my laptop on for about half an hour, the video driver still crashes.

Looks like I'm going to geek squad after all.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well I hope they can fix it but I'm afraid since it is a laptop they may not be able to fix the video.
Short of formatting and bringing the system back to factory settings.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Ok, a little late, but I went to a local computer store, the manager (it was just him and a desk clerk) took one look at my computer and said "I bet I can guess what the problem is."

It turns out there was what amounts to a Silent Recall of nearly all HP dv-series notebooks (by "silent," I mean HP never told the public, and, according the the computer store manager, it takes some pushing to actually get HP to act on the recall.) There is a problem with the motherboard, and an update for the BIOS is supposed to fix that. the manager is going to restore my data from my hard drive, then send it to hp to fix the motherboard problem.

And it won't cost nearly as much as going to Geek Squad. They would have charged me 70 bucks just to tell me what the manager told me for free!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you.
Make sure you have backup in hand and verified.
With that we can at least make sure of no lose of your important data.

Please keep us informed as to the progress and results.
We will continue to monitor this topic for your updates and good job finding the problem.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thanks.

The manager said it would take two weeks for HP to fix the problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
WOW!!!!
Two weeks to flash a bios.
Normally takes about a minute but I guess with shipping time and the amount of systems they probably have to work on, that makes sense.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
At least he's only charging me for the hours to recover my hard drive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
He sounds like a reasonable technician then. Most would charge a lot more and not do anything different.
In all honesty most won't do the backups either.
They normally say that is your responsibility.
I'm glad to see there are some who are there for their customers and not just for the money.